Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #61 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
hip hop bunny hop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
Any reason why? Apart from my spelling slights which have now been edited.
This is a good summary:

1. You imply racism has a static or agreed upon definition; when in reality it is constantly in flux and its meaning is at best culturally relative.

2. The notion that personal prejudices somehow equates to institutional racism.
__________________
Have mercy on the poor.
hip hop bunny hop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:24 PM   #62 (permalink)
Acattin Sane
 
Fluff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 8,188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
I really don't want to choose sides. It is really hard to hear anything said between all the rustling of the newspapers and clickety clack of the train. The announcer announcing "The next station is Moorgate." It made it really difficult to hear. You would think if people on the subway when they see somebody whip out their i-pod to record an incident they would had enough decency to hush up, and put down the news papers and what not, and wtf is up with the guy and the orange bags, get out of the way some serious **** is going down and your blocking the veiw. What up wit dat?

But didn't she say her boyfriend was black, and she gets pegged as a racist? When he press her whether she was black or not, she said it didn't matter and her before accepted her the way she dresses. It seem if he was instagating the whole thing, complaining how she dress then at one point slams Americans something about their antiques, clearly he is the bad guy. I think they got it wrong he is the bigotted anti-American misogynist. I don't know it spun around on her, it seem like the whole time it was just him at her constantly at her, picking on her and how she dresses, punches her calls her a bitch and then calls her an escort, (and I don't think he meant a Ford either) and after he gets his punches in quickly turn sissy after the altercation.
To be fair I usually find that the first thing a racist will say to defend themselves is "I have black friends" or in this case a boyfriend. My friends and I often joke with each other about that being a classic line that racists always use.

It is not how you treat those you love or care for, it is how you treat those you don't know and/or dislike, that is the real acid test.

I don't know if this woman is genuinely racist, or him for that matter, I just don't think having a black boyfriend would make a difference.

I don't think you can call him a misogynist based off that video either. A childish hothead who needs to learn to control himself maybe, but not a misogynist.

Just my opinion
__________________
Fluff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:40 PM   #63 (permalink)
ComputerHabenHerzschmerz
 
Neapolitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Les Barricades Mystérieuses
Posts: 6,330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffy Kittens View Post
To be fair I usually find that the first thing a racist will say to defend themselves is "I have black friends" or in this case a boyfriend. My friends and I often joke with each other about that being a classic line that racists always use.

It is not how you treat those you love or care for, it is how you treat those you don't know and/or dislike, that is the real acid test.

I don't know if this woman is genuinely racist, or him for that matter, I just don't think having a black boyfriend would make a difference.

I don't think you can call him a misogynist based off that video either. A childish hothead who needs to learn to control himself maybe, but not a misogynist.

Just my opinion

I watch the video and really couldn't hear much, but what I heard was the guy picking on her. I don't see why she should be called a racist, for being a victim of his beratement? He was the complaining about how she dressed, and at the end called he a bitch and a escort. I am assuming he was the one who was throwing the punches too, not a freind of his or a by-stander. After she was insulted and assualted he was the one crying for a barrister and witnesses. I don't know what the catalyst was to the argument proabably over nothing, and it obviously escalated. But in the beginning of it he should keep on keeping on and mind his own business.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhanteimi View Post
Actually, I like you a lot, Nea. That's why I treat you like ****. It's the MB way.

"it counts in our hearts" - ʕººʔ
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” ― Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” – Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." - John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." — Keith Richards ☮ 💖 ♫ ∞ ἰχθύς

Last edited by Neapolitan; 01-17-2013 at 12:10 AM.
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:47 AM   #64 (permalink)
Horribly Creative
 
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, The Big Smoke
Posts: 8,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hip hop bunny hop View Post
This is a good summary:

1. You imply racism has a static or agreed upon definition; when in reality it is constantly in flux and its meaning is at best culturally relative.

2. The notion that personal prejudices some equates institutional racism.
I've not implied any of the above, what I have implied though, is that certain people here over the years have made negative remarks about a person or people in sweeping generalisations, without really be aware of their actions. Let's just call it a lack of education and respect for their fellow human being rather than a genuine hatred.

Any reason why somebody should be called a black idiot instead of just an idiot? An idiot's an idot regardless of their cultural identity, so why even bring the cultural element into the issue.

It's now become socially unacceptable for people to discriminate on race or colour here and to make discriminatory remarks, so unless somebody has been living under a rock here they should be aware of this.

If I look at your second point, that's very much stagnation of a society in action, because it allows these personal prejudices to fester and go unchecked. It also depends on how you see the role of society as well.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraser.time206 View Post
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #65 (permalink)
Crazyyyyyy Train
 
Celladorina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,832
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forward To Death View Post
This is why everyone should just keep their yapper shut on public trasportation.
Agreed.
Celladorina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:43 PM   #66 (permalink)
Acattin Sane
 
Fluff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 8,188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
I watch the video and really couldn't hear much, but what I heard was the guy picking on her. I don't see why she should be called a racist, for being a victim of his beratement? He was the complaining about how she dressed, and at the end called he a bitch and a escort. I am assuming he was the one who was throwing the punches too, not a freind of his or a by-stander. After she was insulted and assualted he was the one crying for a barrister and witnesses. I don't know what the catalyst was to the argument proabably over nothing, and it obviously escalated. But in the beginning of it he should keep on keeping on and mind his own business.
"Smelly Nigerians"

"I dress poor so I don't get robbed by people like you"



Once she said those, she's fair game in terms of verbal abuse imo. She wasn't a victim until she made herself a victim with the above comments tbh. Can't talk to someone like that and expect to get away with it.

- They get on the tube
- She claims he stepped on her foot
- Argument commences
- She makes an arguably racist comment
- He returns one
- He claims she threw a bottle at him
- Punches are thrown
__________________
Fluff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:55 PM   #67 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 109
Default

Well, what really needs to be done throughout Europe to effectively address the situation is to shut down the mass immigration policies, and ship all of the Africans and Arabs back to their countries of origin as soon as possible. Mass immigration is absolutely destroying most of our beautiful Northern and Western European nations within a very, very short period of time.

The worst thing is, it's intentional. The intellectuals and the elite politicians in individual nations and the EU are deliberately seeking to permanently deconstruct Europe and everything it means to be European. As if there is something inherently "wrong" with being a white European.

__________________
Richard: Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels?

Barry: NO!! ....the Righteous Brothers.

Richard: Well, never mind.

Barry: No, not never mind. You tell me right now. What's wrong with the Righteous Brothers?

Richard: Nothing, I just prefer the other....

Barry: BULLCRAP!!!

Rob: How can it be "bullcrap" to state a preference????
Ilistentomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:59 PM   #68 (permalink)
Horribly Creative
 
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, The Big Smoke
Posts: 8,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilistentomusic View Post
Well, what really needs to be done throughout Europe to effectively address the situation is to shut down the mass immigration policies, and ship all of the Africans and Arabs back to their countries of origin as soon as possible. Mass immigration is absolutely destroying most of our beautiful Northern and Western European nations within a very, very short period of time.

The worst thing is, it's intentional. The intellectuals and the elite politicians in individual nations and the EU are deliberately seeking to permanently deconstruct Europe and everything it means to be European. As if there is something inherently "wrong" with being a white European.

So what happens when all those of European extraction are booted out of the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa and sent back to Europe?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraser.time206 View Post
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #69 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilistentomusic View Post
Well, what really needs to be done throughout Europe to effectively address the situation is to shut down the mass immigration policies, and ship all of the Africans and Arabs back to their countries of origin as soon as possible. Mass immigration is absolutely destroying most of our beautiful Northern and Western European nations within a very, very short period of time.

The worst thing is, it's intentional. The intellectuals and the elite politicians in individual nations and the EU are deliberately seeking to permanently deconstruct Europe and everything it means to be European. As if there is something inherently "wrong" with being a white European.

There isn't an eyeroll smiley big enough for this post.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #70 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
So what happens when all those of European extraction are booted out of the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa and sent back to Europe?
Also, will I have to do some sort of timeshare between the four or five countries that the different branches of my family come from?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.