Music Banter

Music Banter (https://www.musicbanter.com/)
-   Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion (https://www.musicbanter.com/current-events-philosophy-religion/)
-   -   What Did President Trump Do Now? (https://www.musicbanter.com/current-events-philosophy-religion/87986-what-did-president-trump-do-now.html)

Chula Vista 01-30-2017 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls (Post 1801388)
And you let them.

Those days are gone as of today. Mark my word. Ignorance is bliss. Bring it on punks.

Chula Vista 01-30-2017 06:54 PM

Test #1

https://scontent.fsan1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...17&oe=590FCE2B

Goofle 01-30-2017 06:54 PM

After a few phone calls Trump persuaded a few of the leaders in the Middle Eastto actually help with the refugee crisis.

Donald Trump and Saudi King Salman agree safe zone plans in Syria and Yemen | The Independent

Almost like he's doing a good job.

DwnWthVwls 01-30-2017 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chula Vista (Post 1801410)
Test #1

If I had to pick I'd save the top family from a burning building before the bottom..

Chula Vista 01-30-2017 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goofle (Post 1801412)
Almost

A week of taking huge steps backwards > a tiny gesture of goodwill.

Goof, I'm gonna punch you in the face a few times. But I'll offer you a band-aid afterwards.

Frownland 01-30-2017 07:15 PM

I think it's good to acknowledge what he's done right even though I'm with you on disagreeing with a lot of his EOs. Pulling out of TPP was a great move too (even his intentions were clearly trying to clear the whitehouse of Obama cooties).

Goofle 01-30-2017 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chula Vista (Post 1801416)
A week of taking huge steps backwards > a tiny gesture of goodwill.

Goof, I'm gonna punch you in the face a few times. But I'll offer you a band-aid afterwards.

I see your great counter argument. I cannot respond to it because it was so brilliantly articulated.

Trollheart 01-30-2017 08:18 PM

Watching the Celebrity Apprentice (shut up) and Steven Baldwin is on it. He wins a cheque for 50 grand for his mother's charity and presents it to her, and she smiles and says "It's all because of you." He nods, points up and says, "and him." And she says "Donald." He frowns, says, "Yeah, and, you know, God?" She kind of shrugs.

I nearly pissed myself laughing. :laughing:

Chula Vista 01-30-2017 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goofle (Post 1801426)
I see your great counter argument. I cannot respond to it because it was so brilliantly articulated.

So I made you STFU? Awesome!!!!!

Just watched a surreal segment on the news. A reporter went to a breakfast joint in a Pennsylvania county that voted 60% for Trump to ask the patrons about the Muslim ban - and let's cut the BS - it's a Muslim ban at the end of the day. Wrap it in any pretty bow you want.

Every single one of the people interviewed came across as ridiculously paranoid and afraid. The words THEY and THEM were used over and over again in a very degenerative way.

The reporter asked each of them if they believed that the Orlando, San Bernardino, and Boston terrorist attacks were perpetrated by citizens from one of the 7 banned countries and they all replied with a resounding YES.

When told that they were actually US citizens or from other countries that are not on the ban list they all responded like a 3 year old child being told that Santa Claus wasn't real.

Surreal.

BREAKING NEWS: Trump just fired the acting Attorney General because she came forward to oppose Trump's Muslim ban. Three decades in public office working under both Republican and Democratic administrations and who was approved by over 80% of congress when nominated.

First time something like this has happened since Nixon's Saturday Night Massacre which help lead to his impeachment.

****ing scary ****.

Goofle 01-30-2017 09:06 PM

Obama hates Muslims man. No wonder he picked those specific countries.

Chula Vista 01-30-2017 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goofle (Post 1801441)
Obama hates Muslims man. No wonder he picked those specific countries.

I thought you were going to shut up? At least do some research instead of just being a parrot. Your orange looks nothing like the actual apple.
Act like a grown up for a change.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...ration-restri/

https://mediamatters.org/research/20...lim-ban/215180

http://www.snopes.com/trump-immigration-order-obama/

Goofle 01-30-2017 09:45 PM

Obama selected the specific countries Trump "banned". That's a fact. Read the document bro.

Frownland 01-30-2017 09:50 PM

If you're referring to Obama telling the DoHS to focus on the travel to and from one country in an attempt to catch two fugitives then I guess you could say that both instances are the same if you remove 100% of the context.

Chula Vista 01-30-2017 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goofle (Post 1801446)
Obama selected the specific countries Trump "banned". That's a fact. Read the document bro.

Read very slowly:

Quote:

So, are the policies similar as Trump claimed?

In the most superficial of ways, yes. They both limit immigration into the United States on a temporary basis. But there are two significant differences that Trump omits.

In 2011, there was a specific threat

First, Obama’s suspension was in direct response to a failed plot by Iraqi nationals living in Bowling Green, Ky., to send money, explosives and weapons to al-Qaida. The two men were arrested by the FBI in May 2011 for actions committed in Iraq and trying to assist overseas terrorist groups.

Both had entered the United States as refugees after lying about their past terrorism ties on paperwork. One man worked as a bombmaker in Iraq, and the FBI even matched his fingerprints to an unexploded IED discovered in 2005 in Iraq, raising questions about the thoroughness of the vetting process.

Trump’s ban, meanwhile, is more preemptive. As PolitiFact reported, no refugee or immigrant from any of the seven countries targeted by the ban has been implicated in any fatal terrorist attack in the United States, though perpetrators of at least three non-deadly cases were connected to Iran or Somalia.

Obama’s order was narrower in scope

Second, the scope of the two policies is slightly different. Obama’s 2011 order put a pause on refugee processing, whereas Trump’s halt in entries applies to all non-U.S. visitors.

It should also be noted that Iraqi refugees were still admitted to the United States every month in 2011, though there was a significant drop after May of that year.

According to the New York Times, the Obama administration also required new background checks for visa applicants from Iraq after the Bowling Green incident. Lawmakers at a 2012 congressional hearing also indicated that the Department of Homeland Security expanded screening to the Iraqi refugees already settled in the United States.

But again, these are different from a blanket ban on visitors. Obama, speaking through a spokesperson, disagreed with the comparison in a statement.

There are other precedents for temporary halts in immigration. A 2016 Congressional Research Service report notes that refugee admissions were also briefly suspended after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attack to review the security procedures, leading to an overhaul of the system. A special subset of refugee admissions for reuniting families was suspended in 2008 in certain locations in Africa after higher rates of fraud.

So like Obama’s 2011 suspension, both the post-9/11 and African cases were in reaction to immediate issues and limited to refugees.

Trump’s order is broader, and his administration has provided no evidence it is in response to any particular event.

The seven countries on Trump’s list

While not necessarily part of this fact-check, Trump’s suggestion that he selected the seven countries as a continuation of Obama’s policy is imprecise.

According to the executive order, Trump’s action applies to "countries designated pursuant to Division O, Title II, Section 203 of the 2016 consolidated Appropriations Act."

That refers to a 2015 act, signed into law by Obama, revising the United States’ visa waiver program. The visa waiver program allows citizens from 38 countries to enter the United States without a visa for up to 90 days. Under the legislation, citizens of those 38 countries who had traveled to Iraq, Syria, Iran, and Sudan after March 2011 were no longer eligible for the visa waiver. Libya, Yemen, and Somalia were later added to the list.

In other words, Obama’s actions dealt with people who had visited Iraq, Syria, Iran, Sudan, Libya, Somalia and Yemen, not citizens of those countries, and it did not prohibit them from entering the United States.

Again, act like an adult.

Goofle 01-30-2017 10:12 PM

Obama lacked action, we get it.

Frownland 01-30-2017 10:14 PM

Wait, if Trump did the same thing as Obama, what caused it to be effective this time around and why didn't it work before? Or are we deluding ourselves with partisan politics again?

Chula Vista 01-30-2017 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goofle (Post 1801449)
Obama lacked action, we get it.

Please list all of the terrorist acts committed or planned by a citizen of those 7 countries that took place in the United States.

Now do the same for the 4 Muslim countries that Trump excluded from the ban, and just by chance, were part of 9/11 AND, he has lucrative business connections with.

http://cdn1.thecomeback.com/wp-conte...ai-645x356.jpg

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/money/dam/a...ai-780x439.jpg

And also, Trump is president. Not Obama. Stop looking backwards and deal with the present. Isn't that what all of you conservatives were preaching very loudly after Obama took office? Stop being a hypocrite.

I'll be waiting on your lists.

elphenor 01-30-2017 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goofle (Post 1801449)
Obama lacked action, we get it.

this degree of gymnastics to not admit you're dead wrong

Anteater 01-30-2017 11:56 PM

It isn't just Trump with conflicts of interest in Saudi Arabia...it's the whole damn U.S. For that reason, I'm not surprised Trump didn't ban them, nor am I surprised previous administrations didn't ban them either.

Frownland 01-31-2017 12:07 AM

Congressional term limits: yay or nay?

Chula Vista 01-31-2017 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anteater (Post 1801459)
It isn't just Trump with conflicts of interest in Saudi Arabia...it's the whole damn U.S. For that reason, I'm not surprised Trump didn't ban them.

Missing the point a bit.

Oh, and YAY!

https://scontent.fsan1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...48&oe=590CD96C

djchameleon 01-31-2017 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frownland (Post 1801460)
Congressional term limits: yay or nay?

Yay on this!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goofle (Post 1801446)
Obama selected the specific countries Trump "banned". That's a fact. Read the document bro.

Why comparing Trump's and Obama's immigration restrictions is flawed | PolitiFact

Quote:

Trump said, "My policy is similar to what President Obama did in 2011 when he banned visas for refugees from Iraq for six months."

The Obama administration in 2011 delayed processing Iraqi refugees for six months following evidence of a failed plot by two Iraqi refugees.

Trump’s executive order temporarily bars travel to the United States for all citizens from seven countries, and it is not in direct response to actions from citizens of those countries.

Furthermore, Iraqi refugees were nonetheless admitted to the United States during the 2011 suspension while Trump has put an indefinite ban on Syrian refugees.
Take your own advice and read the document.

People that are trying to argue that it isn't a Muslim ban like MLM.
Full text of Trump's executive order on 7-nation ban, refugee suspension - CNNPolitics.com
Quote:

Upon the resumption of USRAP admissions, the Secretary of State, in consultation with the Secretary of Homeland Security, is further directed to make changes, to the extent permitted by law, to prioritize refugee claims made by individuals on the basis of religious-based persecution, provided that the religion of the individual is a minority religion in the individual's country of nationality. Where necessary and appropriate, the Secretaries of State and Homeland Security shall recommend legislation to the President that would assist with such prioritization.
So they are okay with letting in Christians, Catholics and any other minority religion because it is a MUSLIM ban! :bonkhead: It's not like you are thinking just banning the countries for whatever else other reasoning. They have the mindset that Muslims are dangerous and should be banned.

elphenor 01-31-2017 07:56 AM

all of the sudden Trump wants to justify himself with Obama awfully convenient I thought he was a Muslim

djchameleon 01-31-2017 08:01 AM

It's funny how people still believe that.

Neapolitan 01-31-2017 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djchameleon (Post 1801494)
So they are okay with letting in Christians, Catholics and any other minority religion because it is a MUSLIM ban! :bonkhead: It's not like you are thinking just banning the countries for whatever else other reasoning. They have the mindset that Muslims are dangerous and should be banned.

The worry shouldn't be about letting in "Christians, Catholics and any other minority religion" the real concern should be the plight of the ""Christians, Catholics and any other minority religion" in those regions plagued by islamic terrorist.

Aleppo Bishop: Two Thirds of Syrian Christians Have Been Killed or Driven Away - Breitbart

So if I recall correctly he talked about a temporary ban until there is some way they could be "vetted" during his campaign, now it's in place. I don't see the point making it seem like they are banning countries out of the blue. Or making it seem like they banning muslims forever. The ban isn't targeting people for being an ordinary muslim. The elephant in the room, the thing no one wants to talk about are the terrorists. The terrorists are a problem within muslim communities and a problem for everyone else. And it's the terrorist causing the conflict where people have to flee, resulting in them becoming refugees.

Quote:

"What the president did was take the first step through this executive order of ensuring that we're looking at the entire system of who's coming in, refugees that are coming in, people who are coming in from places that have a history or that our intelligence suggests that we need to have further extreme vetting for." How the Trump administration chose the 7 countries in the immigration executive order - CNNPolitics.com

Chula Vista 01-31-2017 11:48 AM

And still waiting for someone to point out particular instances of terrorism here in the US committed by ANYONE from the 7 banned nations.......

People are so god damn afraid of the dark that they want Trump to ban the sun from going down.

Key 01-31-2017 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chula Vista (Post 1801549)
And still waiting for someone to point out particular instances of terrorism here in the US committed by ANYONE from the 7 banned nations.......

There are none.

DwnWthVwls 01-31-2017 01:45 PM

i hope he continues religious profiling and exiles the west boro baptist church next.

Chula Vista 01-31-2017 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls (Post 1801579)
i hope he continues religious profiling and exiles the west boro baptist church next.

Thumbs up to that. Dude actually upheld one of Obama's executive orders regarding LBGT rights today. Maybe there's hope.










Not.

Neapolitan 01-31-2017 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chula Vista (Post 1801549)
And still waiting for someone to point out particular instances of terrorism here in the US committed by ANYONE from the 7 banned nations.......

Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen.

Osama bin Mohammed bin Awad bin Laden was born in Saudi Arabia. His father Mohammed bin Laden is from Yemen. Osama bin Laden is a Yemenite via Saudi Arabia. He is the founder of al-Qaeda, the terrorist organization that claimed responsibility for the terrorist attacks which claimed 2996 lives on September 11, 2001. And al-Qaeda has a presence in Yemen.

Terrorists in France Connected to al-Qaeda in Yemen - ABC News

Quote:

In September 2015 the Homeland Security Committee reported that the so-called Islamic State had inspired or directed 60 terror plots or attacks in Western countries, including 15 in the United States. There are 250 American citizens known to have joined Islamist extremist groups.
US travel ban: Why these seven countries? - BBC News
Isis is the thing people should be complaining about, a not temporary restrictions, or the straw man argument that has "Donal Trump banning muslims."

Mosul: Isis threatens to kill 350,000 children trapped in city if they try to leave | The Independent

elphenor 01-31-2017 03:41 PM

You could save 10x as many lives if you for instance deported anyone who ever had a DUI

But we wouldn't do that because it's morally wrong

Likewise a ban on Muslims to potentially save probably less than 50 lives (if any) is not something you do because it is morally wrong

Chula Vista 01-31-2017 03:48 PM

Neo, nice try.

https://media.tenor.co/images/6d44aa...5b61/tenor.gif

elphenor 01-31-2017 03:52 PM

The bottom line is that Republicans run outright bigots Trump's father was probably a klan member (I'm serious Google this ****)

Trump never made an effort to hide his devotion to white supremacy so why do his followers feel like they need to make excuses for it

Key 01-31-2017 04:23 PM

Nea. You must be joking.

Ol’ Qwerty Bastard 01-31-2017 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elphenor (Post 1801617)
The bottom line is that Republicans run outright bigots Trump's father was probably a klan member (I'm serious Google this ****)

Trump never made an effort to hide his devotion to white supremacy so why do his followers feel like they need to make excuses for it

the dems had their turn at being klan members, now it's the republicans turn.

elphenor 01-31-2017 06:00 PM

tru tru

djchameleon 01-31-2017 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qwertyy (Post 1801682)
the dems had their turn at being klan members, now it's the republicans turn.

They were technically still the same party though.

Cuthbert 01-31-2017 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiiii (Post 1801627)
Nea. You must be joking.

^

:laughing:

DwnWthVwls 01-31-2017 07:55 PM

Can some please elaborate on the business ties to the unban countries or give me links?

Posted this in the other thread.. whoops, stupid phone.

Frownland 01-31-2017 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls (Post 1801736)
Can some please elaborate on the business ties to the unban countries or give me links?

Posted this in the other thread.. whoops, stupid phone.

Here's an article I didn't read
Trump's Muslim ban excludes countries linked to his businesses - NY Daily News


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:48 PM.


© 2003-2021 Advameg, Inc.