Music Banter

Music Banter (https://www.musicbanter.com/)
-   Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion (https://www.musicbanter.com/current-events-philosophy-religion/)
-   -   The Environmental Watchdog MasterThread (https://www.musicbanter.com/current-events-philosophy-religion/89143-environmental-watchdog-masterthread.html)

The Batlord 08-01-2019 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwb (Post 2069698)
Yeah I don't care about the oil companies. But the reasons I am not so crazy about carbon taxes has nothing to do with protecting them. If anything, a true renewable alternative would threaten them far more than any tax could.

How do you threaten them when they have so much money and clout?

elphenor 08-01-2019 05:55 PM

hard to get an alternative developed because of that clout

jwb 08-01-2019 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug McClasky (Post 2069720)
How do you threaten them when they have so much money and clout?

Like I said a Manhatten Project type deal. All it takes is scientists + funding. If that's truly impossible in this country at this point then we better pray China sees the massive opportunity to become the developers of the new energy standard and let them finally surpass us once and for all.

The Batlord 08-01-2019 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwb (Post 2069730)
Like I said a Manhatten Project type deal. All it takes is scientists + funding. If that's truly impossible in this country at this point then we better pray China sees the massive opportunity to become the developers of the new energy standard and let them finally surpass us once and for all.

A Manhattan Project for renewable energy to save the planet from global warming? Yeah let's hope China saves us. I'm with OH. We're already ****ed and no matter how ****ed we are or are not world governments are politically incapable of shifting to save the human race. This is why I say that the human race is not intellectually capable of governing itself at this population, social, and economic level. It's simply too much for the human mind to handle. We can only hope to experience problems that aren't so big that it would require the level of flexibility needed to deal with something like climate change.

jwb 08-01-2019 06:42 PM

Obviously it's a tall order. The sad thing is, when the threat comes from the Nazis or the Soviets we always rise to the occasion. We did more than what would be required to develop sound renewable energy. Yet since the threat is abstract and not at the end of a bad guys gun, we can't do it?

It's very possible we won't. I just wish that at least the people who are supposedly concerned about climate change (Democrats) would try this approach. Instead they brag about "taking the fossil fuel companies to task" and "joining the Paris accords." Bunch of pandering, mindless scum.

The Batlord 08-01-2019 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwb (Post 2069754)
Obviously it's a tall order. The sad thing is, when the threat comes from the Nazis or the Soviets we always rise to the occasion. We did more than what would be required to develop sound renewable energy. Yet since the threat is abstract and not at the end of a bad guys gun, we can't do it?

Uh... yeah. That's exactly it. The Nazis and Soviets were threats that we could shoot, or talk about and plan about shooting. Hitting things with sticks is humanity's bread and butter. Abstract threats are confusing and don't have obvious solutions. We can't even deal with our pattern recognition instincts that make us like "music" also making us think that all powerful deities exist.

Quote:

It's very possible we won't. I just wish that at least the people who are supposedly concerned about climate change (Democrats) would try this approach. Instead they brag about "taking the fossil fuel companies to task" and "joining the Paris accords." Bunch of pandering, mindless scum.
Yeah, Democrats are ****. Welcome to the club. Congrats on grasping that obvious thing.

jwb 08-01-2019 06:57 PM

I wasn't saying it was some sort of revelation. It's just an obvious solution we continue to ignore for frustrating reasons. So **** trying to come up with something else, and **** bull**** talk about taking it to the fossil fuel industry.

elphenor 08-01-2019 07:01 PM

when oil companies influence our elections

and these representatives would be the ones to initiate this project

how do you expect this to go down without confronting them?

jwb 08-01-2019 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elphenor (Post 2069765)
when oil companies influence our elections

and these representatives would be the ones to initiate this project

how do you expect this to go down without first chipping at their influence

heh.. You're going to hurt them enough through taxes to minimize their lobby before you have an energy replacement?

That's far more far fetched than just funding either the DOD or NASA to work on it.

elphenor 08-01-2019 08:11 PM

just think the "take on the fossil fuels industry" type language has a place

that's what it'll require either way

just like passing Universal Healthcare requires that you take on the drug companies and private insurance companies that are resisting it


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:31 AM.


© 2003-2022 Advameg, Inc.