Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2007, 12:22 AM   #31 (permalink)
Edgyswingsetacid
 
PopIsDead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 342
Default

I like songs by bands and stuff.
__________________
"No one likes a smart-ass but we all like stars."
PopIsDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 03:59 AM   #32 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Crowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 699
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
^

Yes but it goes both ways.
People just churn out the same names over & over again parrot fashion.It's like some people just got their whole music taste from a 'best albums of all times list'. There's no thought , no originality or no experimentation in these lists. The kind of people who are scared to call anything after 1980 a classic album (Although if they're really adventurous they might mention Nevermind , The Queen Is Dead & Doolittle). The kind of people who complain that music isn't as good as it used to be in the 60s & 70s while they listen to Night At The Opera for the millionth time instead of looking for new classics.

A lot of classic albums do nothing for me , you mention the White Album .... well I can see the Beatles influence in music I can see why it's a classic , after all it is the biggest band in the world not restricting themselves to 3 minute pop songs & experimenting with all sorts of things. Do I think it's a classic? Well no actually, I think only half of it is listenable & i'd much rather listen to Freak Out by Frank Zappa instead. But in my opinion the only reason it is a classic is because it's The Beatles , based on the actual content of the album I doubt it would get even a fraction of that attention had it been made by another band.I don't think that opinion makes me ignorant ,it just means i'm taking the album at face value.

To use your fish analogy , what is his fish recipe is the same one he's been doing for 40 years and you want to try something newer.
You're missing the point. Whether you or like it or not, some albums are considered classics, and legendary. Albums such as the White Album and Nevermind, and Master of Puppets are classic albums due to their effect on music in every sense of it's existence. (We're talking culture, the art itself in some cases).

Albums like these transcend opinion and enter into factual territory. It's like saying that Michael Jordan isn't one of the greatest basketball players of all time. Michael Jordan IS one of the greatest basketball players of all time. It's a fact. The White Album IS a legendary album. It's a fact. Surely no one is stopping you from having an opinion, I mean - they are like a$$holes, everyone's got one.

But I assure you- if you speak to someone who is without the posit of being trendy or cool, and you tell them The White Album is meh - and it's not a great album - you are going to look ignorant. And in fact, that is ignorance speaking. It would be similar to you having a strong opinion about particle based thermo-nuclear dynamics... (assuming you know little about this subject)- yes you may have an opinion on it - but it's not educated.

I agree with you on some level though. I believe people should look for new music. I think that the kind of people who are afraid to recognize new accomplishments in the field are ridiculous. But why should they come on here and be a poseur and talk about some new, indie band and their favorite four albums by them? Do I expect these people to alter their choices to impress me?

But when people come on here and start calling somebody lame because they enjoy Metallica or RHCP b/c and stuff, that kinda bs actually makes me stop wanting to post here sometimes. You coming on here as mod and calling them mindless parrots is even worse. Because they like something that many other people like- they are automatons? What kind of musical environment are you promoting here? To me it seems like unless you are a staunch indie loving, brit pop worshiping - people don't respect you here.

I've seen people come on here and maybe their favorite album is AC/DC's Back in Black and then they are immediately bombarded by INSULTS! They "don't know anything about -muuussiiic-" I try to hold my tongue a lot but it really has gotten out of hand. What happens is that you create a certain I'm better than you because I listen to <enter awesome band here> community. That sucks.

Sorry I ranted.
__________________
Crowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 04:17 AM   #33 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

I really like how even though i've been pretty opinionated on my dislike of the majority of classic rock and classic albums for well over a year. I'm all the sudden being 'trendy' for doing it when originally I was just being an 'idiot'.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 02:41 PM   #34 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

What kind of people do you think follow such trends?

A lot of people like older rock because thats simply where a lot of the best music can be found, 12 year old trolls with bad grammar don't represent that entire fanbase.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 03:48 PM   #35 (permalink)
dontcareaboutyou
 
swim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,188
Default

Quality of music knows no time or genre.
__________________
http://nakednaps.bandcamp.com/
swim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 04:25 PM   #36 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Crowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 699
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I really like how even though i've been pretty opinionated on my dislike of the majority of classic rock and classic albums for well over a year. I'm all the sudden being 'trendy' for doing it when originally I was just being an 'idiot'.
no no no no no - i wasn't talking about YOU directly crowquill. I may have referenced what you said because people can look at it in this thread - but I never mentioned you by name simply because I realize that you have a general dislike for it and are not doing it to stand out - and if I did mention you by name and I forgot - I apologize.

I do however think that you mods need to realize your status on these boards is more than simply one who deletes are locks posts. When you start railing on someone's love for something (in this case classic rock) - that is sets a tone for the rest of the conversation and that person's stay here on mb. I mean - if the mods start drilling someone for trying to talk about their favorite music... calling their tastes lame and whatnot? That's not legit, man.

And again not liking classic music is one thing - it's personal taste and everyone is entitled to that. But some people like that kind of stuff, and not only some but a TON of people like it- that's how these albums became classic in the first place. But I'm not going to repeat everything I said in my last post.

I just think that -everyone- on the board should be aware of how we treat each other. We're here for the same purpose. And Moderators have an extra responsibility of representing the site. Not trying to tell you guys how to do your jobs - just letting you know how your opinions affect people.

And again I'm not trying to be a jackass - just trying to stick up for people who maybe haven't been around for that long.

I love you guys still
__________________
Crowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 05:03 PM   #37 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowe View Post

But when people come on here and start calling somebody lame because they enjoy Metallica or RHCP b/c and stuff, that kinda bs actually makes me stop wanting to post here sometimes. You coming on here as mod and calling them mindless parrots is even worse. Because they like something that many other people like- they are automatons? What kind of musical environment are you promoting here? To me it seems like unless you are a staunch indie loving, brit pop worshiping - people don't respect you here.

I've seen people come on here and maybe their favorite album is AC/DC's Back in Black and then they are immediately bombarded by INSULTS! They "don't know anything about -muuussiiic-" I try to hold my tongue a lot but it really has gotten out of hand. What happens is that you create a certain I'm better than you because I listen to <enter awesome band here> community. That sucks.

Sorry I ranted.
But i'm not saying that though If people want to listen to Metallica or RHCP then it doesn't bother me , they can listen to whatever they like. All i'm saying is that snobbery comes from both camps. You mentioned snobbery in indie fans I was just re-addressing the balance. I don't dislike classic bands , i'm simply bored of being told how great they are over & over again. This is after all a forum for discussion , I don't criticise people for the bands they listen to , I just criticise the bands they listen to.Hell I even criticise bands I enjoy. And most of the hostility I have come across comes from classic rock fans who churn out the same 'You can't say that , it's a classic' mantra or words to that effect.
Indie fans are nowhere near as bad as that because if you say that you hate a band they like 2 months later they'll agree with you.

This isn't me labelling people , just observations I have made.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 06:47 PM   #38 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Crowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 699
Default

Ah - ok I misunderstood what you were trying to say Urban. My mistake. But my comments still stand on their own for errbody else. It's weird because I love classic rock and I love indie. And I don't consider myself worse for wear for either of these interests... I also don't see why people are trying to elevate themselves above others - I mean I know it happens, I'm not naive - it's human nature. but perhaps if we fight it the community might be better off, aye?
__________________
Crowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 06:52 PM   #39 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,447
Default

I'm always caught in the middle , Classic rock fans think i'm an indie snob & indie snobs think I listen to old fart music.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 06:57 PM   #40 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
But i'm not saying that though If people want to listen to Metallica or RHCP then it doesn't bother me , they can listen to whatever they like. All i'm saying is that snobbery comes from both camps. You mentioned snobbery in indie fans I was just re-addressing the balance. I don't dislike classic bands , i'm simply bored of being told how great they are over & over again. This is after all a forum for discussion , I don't criticise people for the bands they listen to , I just criticise the bands they listen to.Hell I even criticise bands I enjoy. And most of the hostility I have come across comes from classic rock fans who churn out the same 'You can't say that , it's a classic' mantra or words to that effect.
Indie fans are nowhere near as bad as that because if you say that you hate a band they like 2 months later they'll agree with you.

This isn't me labelling people , just observations I have made.
Thats one thing that annoys me. And I still find them to be generally more obnoxious than classic rock fans, who don't get me wrong, can be very obnoxious.

The most interest thing I find about indie fans is that when I actually agree with them on something, they will conveniently change their opinion over time. Almost as if they are just shaping their music tastes and forcing themselves to be as different from "the mainstream kids" as much as possible.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.