Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Does John Peel deserve to make the Hall of Fame?
Yes 11 91.67%
No 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2009, 10:30 AM   #1871 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeAndno View Post
Seriously though, barely any of them thought more of themselves than any popular act does, with the exception of Oasis.
No let's be fair, a lot of britpop bands have built a steady reputation of having trash talking douhebags for frontmen, Oasis weren't the only one.

Even as a Blur fan, Albarn has had his definitive assh*le moments, but at least he's talented, what the hell is Liam's excuse? And at least Jarvis is likable in his assh*le demeanor, I can't say that Earth Song incident didn't make me lol.

So I disagree about Oasis being the only jerks from that movement, but I will say they're the only ones I have a problem with.

I don't dislike britpop as much as I make out, I'm sure there were some more great bands that came out of it, but Blur were the only one of the big four I really care about, though I have some respect for Pulp and Seude too even though it's not my thing at all, they're talented musicians, Butler especially.

Britpop paved the way for a lot of music, which is mostly a good thing. But let's not forget that this is the movement that gave us f*cking Nicky Wire and Pete Doherty, so yeah, if I trash talk about britpop a lot, that's the goddamn reason.
boo boo is offline  
Old 08-05-2009, 10:41 AM   #1872 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
But let's not forget that this is the movement that gave us f*cking Nicky Wire and Pete Doherty, so yeah, if I trash talk about britpop a lot, that's the goddamn reason.
No it didn't. The Manic Street Preachers had fuck all to do with Britpop. And the Libertines didn't come about until at least 6 years after it died.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline  
Old 08-05-2009, 10:46 AM   #1873 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

I know MSP aren't a britpop band but britpop was a contributor to their success was it not? That's when a lot of those kinda bands were breaking out and britpop at least deserves some of that credit. But I never mentioned MSP either, I really liked The Holy Bible, I'm just talking about Wire.

Somebody needs to take the blame for inspiring this sh*tstain to pursue a solo music career and no punishment no matter how brutal will ever seem fitting enough.

But whatever, you know more about this scene than I do, you lived it. And yeah, I guess it's a bit unfair to assume Noel, Damon, Graham, Bernard or Jarvis could have even anticipated something like this.



But hey, whenever horrible tragedies like this happens, somebody's gotta take the blame.
boo boo is offline  
Old 08-05-2009, 11:18 AM   #1874 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
I know MSP aren't a britpop band but britpop was a contributor to their success was it not?
Not really seeing as though they were regularly getting hit singles 3 or 4 years before britpop broke.

And I don't know why you're so bothered about Nicky Wire's solo stuff. It only sold about 2 copies.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline  
Old 08-05-2009, 11:20 AM   #1875 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
Not really seeing as though they were regularly getting hit singles 3 or 4 years before britpop broke.

And I don't know why you're so bothered about Nicky Wire's solo stuff. It only sold about 2 copies.
Yes I know and I want names goddammit and I want them NOW.
boo boo is offline  
Old 08-05-2009, 02:22 PM   #1876 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
Yes I know and I want names goddammit and I want them NOW.
Nicky Wire's Mum

Nicky Wire's Dad
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline  
Old 08-05-2009, 05:01 PM   #1877 (permalink)
The Great Disappearer
 
Davey Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: URI Campus and Coventry, both in RI
Posts: 461
Default

I'm going to give the edge to a yes vote, because I think they are so-so, but the influence cannot be denied, also there are some songs of theirs I really like.
__________________
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Davey Moore is offline  
Old 08-05-2009, 11:39 PM   #1878 (permalink)
Untalented Drummer
 
scottsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sussex, Wisconsin
Posts: 2,900
Default

I definitely agree that its more than likely that Damon Albarnn of Blur was as big an a$ehole as the Gallaghers... he was just different in his a$$hole - ness, Albarn came across as arrogant, superior, and the Gallaghers just crass potty mouths... different styles altogether... all the Britpop mob were basicallly a damn good soap opera...
__________________
"If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately" - Shaun Micallef.
scottsy is offline  
Old 08-06-2009, 02:13 AM   #1879 (permalink)
daddy don't
 
Molecules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: the Wastes
Posts: 2,576
Default

Hi, Dial-a-Vote service here again.

I voted because, personal history with the group aside, they were MAD influential in the development of British pop/rock of the 90's and beyond; taking influences from each decade previous (Kinks, Bowie, Wire) and giving the salivating music press a contemporary and spunky (and I emphasise the word spunky here) indie rock/pop outfit who with each release proved to be more diverse than most of their contemporaries; there is an audible progression from album to album (even between songs), making it very difficult to pigeonhole them.
Of course none of that would matter if the songs weren't great, the guitar sound (totally unique to G.Coxon) constantly inventive and astounding and the rhythm section very 70's in that super-tight and rarely-straightforward way.

I wouldn't play up the Britpop element too much... Although Blur (along with Suede) were undeniably at the forefront of the grunge/Americana backlash, which genuinely seems to have instilled a healthy demand for 'homegrown' music in the industry (even if 99.73% of it is horseshit). This inherent English shitness is something Blur started celebrating more as the early 90's wore into the mid - thus their 'Britpop' reputation. However they saw this indie-Kinks period through to embrace more styles from across the pond in the late 90's - some lo-fi here, some gospel there.

For ages I assumed that nobody outside of the UK and Europe had heard of Blur, or would be capable of enjoying them if they had; but the Last.fm figures were a big surprise and I've met lots of Young Americans online who are just getting into them, which perhaps shows that their appeal is not completely local.

If you don't want to vote for Blur for whatever deluded reason, fine... but if you give that vote to an Oasis nomination then... Jeebus help you, because you are a moron.
__________________

[SIZE="1"]Eff em
tumble her
Molecules is offline  
Old 08-06-2009, 02:15 AM   #1880 (permalink)
gun whales
 
gunnels's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Knoxville/Nashville, TN, USA, NA, E, S, LC, MW, Known Universe
Posts: 1,702
Default

omfg molecules is back
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequoioideae View Post
Fuck your hashtags, they have no power in this realm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FETCHER. View Post
I'm awfully sorry I'm not as good at writing pretentious posts as you are.
Let's Play TF2 Sometime.|Unrepresentative Last.fm.|Puns, Pokemon, and Miscellany
gunnels is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.