Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Punk > Hardcore & Emo
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2006, 11:29 PM   #101 (permalink)
The Wetter The Better!!
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: SH1TTY London Ontario Canada
Posts: 2,501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorsInTheNight
You post on an internet message board so you can be ignorant about music?
Music is none of my business

or more specifically: Emo is none of my business
I don't like it so I don't need to know about it
MURDER JUNKIE is offline  
Old 03-09-2006, 11:44 PM   #102 (permalink)
hiu
Account Disabled
 
hiu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,174
Default

Hating a whole genre after hearing a couple of half assed bands is really a good idea. Perhaps I should try it sometime.
hiu is offline  
Old 03-09-2006, 11:47 PM   #103 (permalink)
Don
Account Disabled
 
Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 647
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Perfect_Sonnet
Way to recycle my own arguements back because you have no substance to yours. Did you notice on the bibliography that one of this "scholar's" sources is a book with the subtitle "The Corporate Construction of Childhood"? That should've tipped you off that the whole article was misinformed at best. And I believe you when you say this author was probably correct in what they wrote if they stick to the poor sources they cited, but it doesn't mean that any of the conclusions drawn are accurate by any means. Just because someone has a PhD in the field of "General Music" doesn't mean they know anything about it. In fact, since most of the professionals in their fields that looked over this article before it became so scholarly and journaly have little to no actual knowledge about the subject, they were willing to go along with it. Besides it's that same sheep-like attitude that causes other people to agree with it too. No one wants to be looked down at in their field of study after all; and so the chain goes on, one miseducated moron after another, until guess what? IT ENDS UP IN YOUR HANDS! So I say kudos to you Don, you sure know what's going down in today's music scene. Hopefully... some day, I will be able to follow pretentious scholarly journals down to the letter and use them in my misguided arguements against people on music forums myself.
For the third time, that was just one reference I used. I just find it funny how I know where my knowledge on the subject has come from (a vast amount of credible articles) and you just dismiss them (you even dismiss someone with a PhD! rofl), so that lead me to think, where does your knowledge come from? You seem to think you know so much about it all, so why don't you share with us where you have developed your greatness in knowledge? Here's what I think happened.

Step 1: Read or hear about someone saying what emo really is.
Step 2: Adopt this knowledge and no matter what happens, it's not wrong.
Step 3: Don't worry if someone presents you with hordes of credible references because after all, you can never be wrong remember?
Step 4: Don't forget to always say everything that conflicts with your view is wrong but don't explain why, you obviously don't need to do that.
Step 5: Assume you know everything about the person/people you are arguing with, but even if they might have a PhD, be older and smarter than you in every facet of music just continue to say they're wrong.
Don is offline  
Old 03-09-2006, 11:50 PM   #104 (permalink)
The Wetter The Better!!
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: SH1TTY London Ontario Canada
Posts: 2,501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorsInTheNight
Hating a whole genre after hearing a couple of half assed bands is really a good idea. Perhaps I should try it sometime.

I know what I like and any emo band I have ever listened to isn't it.
Perhaps I should try every variety of pea soup before I can claim that I don't like it
MURDER JUNKIE is offline  
Old 03-09-2006, 11:57 PM   #105 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Perfect_Sonnet
It's obvious you and urban have very little room in those inflated heads to learn about something for yourselves, which I guess is okay, since most of the mainstream is horribly uneducated about this anyway.
I`ve not given an opinion in this thread , i`ve asked questions.And this is the kind of response I get when I ask people to explain their answers.

I think it`s kind of sad you see that as me having an inflated head,
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline  
Old 03-10-2006, 03:47 AM   #106 (permalink)
They call me Tundra Boy
 
DontRunMeOver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In your linen cupboard.
Posts: 1,166
Default

Does somebody want to email a link to this thread to the guy who wrote Don's reference, Brian Bailey at Rochester? I still think that the overall article was a good one, although its ridiculous that he said Emo stood for 'Emotional Music', because that is incorrect and people with certain reading styles don't really bother with an article if the opening phrases are wrong. So the first statement probably stopped lots of people from actually taking in an essay that made a lot of interesting points.

I think it would be fair to say that the interesting points were the sociological ones and not the musical ones though.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katyppfan View Post
When Pete plays it is 100% live , your music if that's what you call it doesn't sound so good either? so you can't really critercize can you ?
DontRunMeOver is offline  
Old 03-10-2006, 04:18 AM   #107 (permalink)
Don
Account Disabled
 
Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 647
Default

But emo can be lengthened to emocore which is short for emotional hardcore music. So what are you on about?
Don is offline  
Old 03-10-2006, 05:34 AM   #108 (permalink)
Hyperkinetic Rabbitything
 
Mr Sensitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: In the Noodle Mines
Posts: 811
Default

Hmmm, troubles a brewin' here.
__________________
Mr Sensitive is offline  
Old 03-10-2006, 06:43 AM   #109 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
bungalow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hot-lanta
Posts: 3,140
Default

Don, emotional hardcore music.
You are exactly right.
The bands around today, have little to no hardcore in them, you basically just admitted our argument.
And this "scholar" was way off the mark.
This was obvious in THE FIRST PARAGRAPH!
Not only does he completely misdefine the subject of his article, but he proceeds to name artists, and he drops the name of an alternative rapper!?
Could this guy possible be any more wrong?
bungalow is offline  
Old 03-10-2006, 08:31 AM   #110 (permalink)
"Knowledge is annoying"
 
Electric Ocean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wales, UK
Posts: 230
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger
Thats fine but 2 things....

You`re using the assumption people either listen to one or the other

Both started off from the same point
I listen to both...

Yeah both started from the same from the same origins but one became so altered and transformed it no longer has any real connection to what it once was.
Electric Ocean is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.