Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Indie & Alternative
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2008, 04:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 200
Default Really dumb genre discussion, go....

Daniel Johnston is pretty good. He's way too inconsisten though. He has some very good albums (Fun) and some awful albums (Songs of Pain, Don't Be Scared, The What of Whom, Live at SXSW). Overall, I still like Daniel Johnston when he's on a roll.
Civic Depreciator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

I wouldn't say The What of Whom and Songs of Pain we're bad, in fact I love them. Just because you're not into lo-fi doesn't mean they're bad.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

Most of those bands aren't anywhere near as Lo-Fi as Daniel Johnston's early stuff. Daniel Johnston's early stuff was recorded on a tape recorder. I wouldn't call most of those lo-fi anyway, I mean Beck? His early stuff sure and Apples in Stereo? Not in the slightest. Oh and Fun was released on a major label so comparing its recording quality to his early tapes is pretty laughable.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

Okay I already said Beck's earlier stuff is lo-fi so you're proving nothing with that. And posting a live video and saying "See? LO-FI!" is just....no. I'd only consider Fun Trick Noisemaker lo-fi thinking about it and maybe Tone Soul Evolution.

Fun isn't lo-fi, it was recorded by ATLANTIC RECORDS. This is common knowledge amongst Daniel Johnston fans and always mentioned during conversations about Fun because the quality is so high in comparison to everything else he's done. So either you have no idea what lo-fi is or you've never heard Fun.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

Your argument was literally "Fun is lo-fi." and of course I disregarded the videos, I already acknowledged Beck's earlier stuff was lo-fi so posting Loser (an early song) is just you agreeing with me and then posting a live video as evidence they're lo-fi? Lo-fi isn't a style or a genre, it's about RECORDING QUALITY. It has nothing to do with how a band sounds live. It's not something subjective and up for debate, Fun isn't lo-fi it's literally that simple. There is no tape hiss, the quality is pristine and clear, it's not lo-fi.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slint View Post
Yes Beck's earlier stuff was lo-fi, his prime stuff. This would definitely make him a lo-fi artist. Half of his albums are lo-fi, which would push him over the edge. About the live video, I couldn't find a regular recording of it on YouTube, so I did the best I could with that song. Listen to the original version since you need further proof. Yes, lo-fi is in fact a genre. I already explained this. If it purely had to do with recording style, why aren't 60's garage rock bands and 70's punk bands considered lo-fi? Because it's a genre, that's why. Sure, Fun may be more polished than his previous recordings. But it isn't slicked up to be user-friendly. Both Fun and the bands I listed are lo-fi, get over it.
Lo-fi isn't a genre of music, it's all about record quality. People DO describe primitive recording quality that bands like the Adverts used as lo-fi, I don't know what rock you've been under. I would argue further but since all you can do is repeat yourself I'll just pull a you and go: LOLOLOLOL get over it!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wish Fulfillment
 
sl1ck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy jack fire drill View Post
Lo-fi isn't a genre of music, it's all about record quality.
Thats exactly right. I generally hate lo-fi recordings, thats why I don't enjoy Guided by Voices's music as much as if all of it weren't so lo-fi. I'm so glad they got Ric Ocasek to produce Do the Collapse. I love his glossy production.

Daniel Johnston's stuff actually works better the worse the sound quality and production is. He's the only artist I can say that about.
__________________
Last.FM
RYM
sl1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slint View Post
I'd love to hear who describes The Adverts as a lo-fi band. Could I see your sources? The only reason I repeat myself is because you disregard my points the first time, and then restate yours, completely oblivious to what I just said.
I didn't disregard your points. You're expecting me to argue things like Beck's early albums being lo-fi despite the fact I SAID THAT THEY WERE ALREADY. You don't think thats a bit stupid? I don't.

You know I just looked up the wikipedia article on lo-fi music and I'm kind of curious how come all the lo-fi artists you listed as being 'fans of' we're just the artists they list as examples of being lo-fi? Lo-fi music - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slint View Post
You just disregarded another point. Where are these sources that call The Adverts lo-fi? Fine, I'll list more lo-fi artists since you think I ripped them off Wikipedia. Kind of pathetic, actually because that just proves my point that Beck and The Apples in Stereo are in fact lo-fi, despite your claims. Thanks for the help in proving you wrong! I also like Lou Barlow, Beulah, Eric's Trip, Folk Implosion, Alastair Galbraith, Grifters, David Kilgour, Chris Knox, Magnetic Fields, The Microphones, Neutral Milk Hotel, Robert Pollard, Portastatic, and (Smog).
Wait so you've decided that wikipedia proves Beck and Apples in Stereo are lo-fi but wikipedia directly contradicts you and says lo-fi is just a recording technique, not a genre of music. Explain?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slint View Post
No, you decided to use Wikipedia as a source, so it should be backing you up, should it not? I never claimed Wikipedia as a source, so I'm not saying it's necessarily going to back me up. I just laughed at how it backfired against you when you relied on it. You still haven't told me who calls The Adverts lo-fi. I'm not going to drop this, so good luck trying to dodge this point like you dodge all my others.
I don't really need to since I already explained what lo-fi is and it applies to the Advert's recording quality which is all I was getting at. Not necessarily the Adverts in particular, seriously learn to read I was talking about their recording quality. If wikipedia is good enough for you to copy your taste in music from I don't see why its definition is any less reliable.

Getting back to the original point before you decided to completely dodge the issue over and over and try and argue around it how is Fun lo-fi? The instruments and vocals are all clear, no tape hiss, etc none of that. How is it lo-fi? Please explain this and don't start going on about your supposed knowledge/taste because I don't care too much to be honest.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.