Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rap & Hip-Hop
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 09:57 PM   #171 (permalink)
Master, We Perish
 
Surell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Havin a good time, rollin to the bottom.
Posts: 3,704
Default

"this has been happening for 5 pages" alert
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhateverDude View Post
Laser beams, psychedelic hats, and for some reason kittens. Surrel reminds me of kittens.
^if you wanna know perfection that's it, you dumb shits
Spoiler for guess what:
|i am a heron i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans
Surell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #172 (permalink)
Acattin Sane
 
Fluff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: The Black Country
Posts: 8,386
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
janz are you seriously unable to see why someone else would like jay z?
Cos they need to feel safe and secure in their musical choices so go for the most popular rapper (and he sells himself well). I know exactly why people like him but disagree with it entirely.

Jay-Z is a fraud.
__________________
Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:02 PM   #173 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
janz are you seriously unable to see why someone else would like jay z?
Huh? Obviously people who like him do so because they like the way he does what he does. Is there a point to this question?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:02 PM   #174 (permalink)
not really
 
Sparky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Totally missing the point there Sparky. The example has nothing to do with LMFAO. Pick any current artist that you find generic and uninteresting as an example and imagine some time in the future when some people consider them one of "the greats". Would you suddenly start considering them great?
I'd rather not try to force myself to imagine into the future. I'd rather try to look back 15 years, and think of artists who were (without any doubt) terrible in my mind and see where they are currently. Names like Lil Wayne, Chris Cornell, and dude those are seriously the only names i can come up with right now and i wouldnt say either is terrible so yeah im contradicting myself

What im saying is any artist who is crap right now isn't going to be relevant 15 years into the future. It' a lame hypothetical. Jay Z is relevant still because he isn't terrible
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:05 PM   #175 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
I'd rather not try to force myself to imagine into the future. I'd rather try to look back 15 years, and think of artists who were (without any doubt) terrible in my mind and see where they are currently. Names like Lil Wayne, Chris Cornell, and dude those are seriously the only names i can come up with right now and i wouldnt say either is terrible

What im saying is any artist who is crap right now isn't going to be relevant 15 years into the future. It' a lame hypothetical. Jay Z is relevant still because he isn't terrible
Nice circular argument.

Talk to me in 15 years. I guarantee you'll have a completely different perspective on this.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:06 PM   #176 (permalink)
The Aerosol in your Soul
 
Rjinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New South Wales, Australia
Posts: 1,513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofle11 View Post
This is absolutely true.

However...

Many MC's >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> all of those.

Totally. Really not a fan of any of the four.
__________________
last.fm
Rjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:06 PM   #177 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
midnight rain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Nice circular argument.

Talk to me in 15 years. I guarantee you'll have a completely different perspective on this.
I do agree that some artists have managed to remain popular after a long period of time (*cough* Journey, Foreigner, ****ty AOR in general), but I don't see them getting much credit for artists they influence in the future. Are we focusing on influence or lasting popularity? I think they're two different things.
__________________
last.fm
midnight rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:08 PM   #178 (permalink)
not really
 
Sparky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Huh? Obviously people who like him do so because they like the way he does what he does. Is there a point to this question?
That's my barometer of quality. If i can't for any conceivable reason understand why someone would like this music than i usually am fairly certain it's crappy. To reitterate an earlier point, how much you like it, isn't indicative of how good it is on a general level.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:14 PM   #179 (permalink)
not really
 
Sparky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Nice circular argument.

Talk to me in 15 years. I guarantee you'll have a completely different perspective on this.
Circular argument? I made the same point. You say talk to me in 15 years (again here we are going to the future) and im trying to reflect on my past 15 years of music listening. There is no artist that comes to my head that i hated 15 years ago that still remains very influential. Eddie Vedder had that into the wild sound track but i don't think hes that influential.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:15 PM   #180 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
That's my barometer of quality. If i can't for any conceivable reason understand why someone would like this music than i usually am fairly certain it's crappy. To reitterate an earlier point, how much you like it, isn't indicative of how good it is on a general level.
Oh okay then, no music in the world is crappy.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.