Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rock & Metal > Rock N Roll, Classic Rock & 60s Rock
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 06:37 AM   #191 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,041
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard the Duck View Post
it's supposed to sound as if you were high

i don't find it "****ty", more "unique"
Being high sounds like awkward guitar playing? Drugs really have gotten better since the 60s.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:47 AM   #192 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Being high sounds like awkward guitar playing? Drugs really have gotten better since the 60s.
well, it's deliberate, if that's what you meant

George wasn't a slacker
__________________


Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:55 AM   #193 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,041
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard the Duck View Post
well, it's deliberate, if that's what you meant

George wasn't a slacker
I can't speak to the man's motivations, all I can say is that his guitar playing on this track is distractingly crappy once you notice it. The song would have been much better without it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:04 AM   #194 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I can't speak to the man's motivations, all I can say is that his guitar playing on this track is distractingly crappy once you notice it. The song would have been much better without it.
fair enough

opinions
__________________


Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #195 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
William Zanzinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Wasteland
Posts: 77
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10 View Post
How would you sum up your opinion of The Beatles, a good
But overrated band? Or a decent and extremely overrated band?
It`s impossible to quantify, but they are probably the best band ever.
Not overrated IMO.
William Zanzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:56 PM   #196 (permalink)
quarantined
 
Neapolitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Les Barricades Mystérieuses
Posts: 6,897
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Probably "good but overrated". It would be hard for them not to be overrated with the reputation that have but they do have some great stuff that I come to enjoy a lot more since starting this thread.
Half of rating is from the critics and the other half from their fans. I don't think the feeling of fans for The Beatle should be seen as a criteria of them being over-rated. I don't think The Beatles are over-rate because simply they were the favorite band of their generation.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
It's supposed to sound shitty? Well in that case they achieved their goal. I'm not talking about key it's in though, I'm talking about the actual playing, which sound like a new member joined the band and was struggling to keep up.
Who where you expecting George to play like Michael Angelo Batio? That's just how they played guitar in the 60s, and I enjoy the style even if it sounds counterintuitive to how guitar playing should sound like. There isn't much difference imo in his approach to his guitar playing on that song than say how the guitar players of of the 60s played. The Rolling Stones and the Velvet Underground played their guitars like they were just a new members who joined a band. I think George's playing is brilliant now that you mention it, because it matches perfectly the style of the other musicians playing thier instruments in a somewhat sluggish and rough manner. It's suppose to be an advant garde piece for it's time I think they did pretty well. There are different versions of the song. I love Georges playing on Strawberry Fields Forever (Take 7 and Edit Piece) as well.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhanteimi View Post
Actually, I like you a lot, Nea. That's why I treat you like ****. It's the MB way.

"it counts in our hearts" - ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” ? Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” – Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." - John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." — Keith Richards ? ???? ? ? ?????

Last edited by Neapolitan; 09-17-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:33 PM   #197 (permalink)
Master, We Perish
 
Surell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Havin a good time, rollin to the bottom.
Posts: 3,704
Default

I actually like the guitar on Strawberry Fields, it's kinda raw or something. Also, who hates Bungalow Bill? It's so much fun, and i personally love the little sax twist at the end.

Also, I've been kinda won over too, and Abbey Road's my favorite. Jansz you can have your thread back :)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhateverDude View Post
Laser beams, psychedelic hats, and for some reason kittens. Surrel reminds me of kittens.
^if you wanna know perfection that's it, you dumb shits
Spoiler for guess what:
|i am a heron i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans
Surell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:10 AM   #198 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,041
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
Who where you expecting George to play like Michael Angelo Batio? That's just how they played guitar in the 60s, and I enjoy the style even if it sounds counterintuitive to how guitar playing should sound like. There isn't much difference imo in his approach to his guitar playing on that song than say how the guitar players of of the 60s played. The Rolling Stones and the Velvet Underground played their guitars like they were just a new members who joined a band. I think George's playing is brilliant now that you mention it, because it matches perfectly the style of the other musicians playing thier instruments in a somewhat sluggish and rough manner. It's suppose to be an advant garde piece for it's time I think they did pretty well. There are different versions of the song. I love Georges playing on Strawberry Fields Forever (Take 7 and Edit Piece) as well.
lol wut. That's not "just how they played guitar in the 60s". There are boatloads of examples of better guitar playing from the 60s, including many from George Harrison himself.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:44 AM   #199 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,039
Default

don't force me to hit you over the head with a Rickenbacker 12-string
__________________


Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:32 AM   #200 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 28
Default

Music is a subjective thing. I have had people try to convice me that Velvet Undground tracks like "Sister Ray" and "European Son" are great songs but to me there garbage.

As for Magical Mystery Tour here is my review.

Magical Mystery Tour- Nice combination of R&B, rock and jazzy trumpets which actually was an influence on bands like Chicago. BBC sound effects tape of traffic riding past a microphone to good effect, too, panning in across the stereo spectrum at various points of the recording. Which they could have expanded on the jazz outro.

Fool on the Hill- Nice blend of flutes/recorders and piano. Some psychedelic touches with backward harmonicas and noises at the end that I can't really describe. A beutiful melody also.

Flying - It's like Booker T & MGS meets Space Rock. Melltron and innovative use of backwards tape loops makes it another trademark Beatles song.

Blue Jay Way- Very Indian influenced track with no guitar or sitar. Use of vocals through Leslie Spearkers, phasing on the drums, lone cello and backward instrumenation makes it another song filled with odd sounds.

Your Mother Should Know- The mono version with phasing on Ringo drums makes the song a Dance Hall meets psychedelia.

I Am The Walrus- Stomping, electric piano-driven beat married to avant-garde tape loops, sampled taped radio broadcasts, strings, brass, choirs. distorted lead vocal and Mellotron.

Strawberry Fields Forever- Childlike lyrics -enhanced-by-acid-trip-inspired track. One of the first notable use of Mellotron. Backwards cymbals to exotic instrumentation to tape loops to tape-speed manipulation to over-compressed drums and bass to outside orchestration. The arrangement is effectively dynamic and atmospheric. Spooky tacked-on false ending, too.

Penny Lane- Possibly Pet Sounds-influenced but in the end sounding very much Beatlesque. Nice baroque touches using piccolo trumpet and use of pianos recorded through a guitar amp. Another great melody with an interesting use of feedback at the end on either harmonium or piano.

Baby You're A Rich Man- A psychedelic rocker with funky overtones and Oriental sounding electroncic parts. A track that I could imagine Prince doing.

All You Need Is Love- Not really one of my favorite Beatles tracks but the hippie love theme that the Beatles started on the "The Word" on Rubber Soul is realized here. Unusual use of time signatures and the blending of various songs on the fade-out makes it an interesting song.
NYSPORTSFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.