Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Artists Corner > Song Writing, Lyrics and Poetry
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2007, 12:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10
Default Whiskey (Drunk By Myself)

This is sorta long, but peep it and tell me what you think...I've gotten some good reactions to this while performing it. Wrote it to the beat of Nas' "Drunk By Myself"

Verse 1:
**** it
**** a girl, **** a class, **** relationships
motha**** my lack of revenue, I ain't payin ****/
this ain't jus ur mild-mannered William,
I'm wild and I'm killin,
it's vile, and it's building/
what's "it"? my temper, my pain and my circumstances
like the world knows EVERY last nerve, and it's workin at em
im killin everything, everybody in my path
whether its 1, or 100, or a thousand, feel my wrath/
and that aint on no gangsta ****,
thats on some, lifeís not good right now
and im contemplatin takin it/
cuz I feel like Iím wasting itó
no matter how I always do right,
**** happens so I canít ever gain from it/
Öpops says donít get caught up in substance abuse
Cuz once that I use, it one time Iím strung by its cruelty
But **** it Iím through, cuz being sober hasnít worked for me
so Iím finally bout to see what these drugs really do/
left hand holdin the bottle, right clutchin my jewels
peeps see me as a disgusting fool,
ďhe used to be so nice,Ē well u ainít live **** in my shoes
So I donít give a flying ****, jus get me my brew/
Most people do it for fun Ė I use it as release
Cuz though my chances just increase of ****in good things up
The bad outweighs it and my skin is too weak
And so I drinkÖgulp after gulp, throwin up in the sink

Hook:
Iím drunk by myself, got my back to the wall
Got a bunch of ideas, and Iíma act on em all
I donít care what it does to others, do to myself,
Or how it ****s my mental and physical health
A day long of sickness is worth
Three hours of forgettin everything thatís going on on in this earth/
Whatever itís worth, hpno or liquor, corona or miller
Cuz ur born, and u dieóand the rest of it is filler

Verse 2:
Iím omnipresentócountry or city, bummy or prissy,
But most seen at the local corner store, sitting
On the shelf, jus waitin for somebody to drop
Their own hard-earned dollars jus so I can be copped/
I got different namesó Jack Daniels, Jim Beam,
even call me Crown Royal, Iím the beverage of kings
Some take me as I am, some put me in containers or cases
Either way, my purpose is basic/
I taste sickening, but people still consuming me constantly
They thinking I might help em with some problems thatís bothering/
And other cats drink me like Iím casual coke,
Or H20, beverages that add to your growth/
But I make your breath stink, and kill ya
I eat liversÖ not from a cow kid, but those of niggas/
Despite commercials and education, people rely
On my powers to solve problems, so I punish their lives/
I put a gun to ya brain, move him aside, and stand in his place
Control souls like video games that you play
And itís not in your best interests, Iím making you act
In ways different than common sense allows you to act/
Iíll make you, slap your woman, curse at your mother,
Iíll make you, kill your best friend, take dough from your brother/
Iíll have you, backstabbing, turn your back on others
Have a big heart at first, now itís black and covered/
Wit greed, for things you donít normally want
And bad temper, when youíre usually cordial wit love/
I eat ya wallet, ya body, ya mind, ya time,
To the point, you canít accept love other than mine/
You must admit, in between, we had some good times
I gave you all that confidence to mack on them dimes
And you would give me to them, they feelin me too
**** up their brain, persuading them to give you the cooch/
When ya moms died, and friends was too busy to console you
I was there, never left, I would hug you, and hold you
Vomit for hours every morning, but thatís a sacrifice
Youíre willing to make, I clear your mind and help you sleep at night/
Peeps try to break us up, but you yell at em then
They jealous cuz weíre closer than your regular friends/
Youíll do anything for meósteal, rob, kill
Just to find the extra dough to afford me/
They got laws, and harsh consequences, try to contain me
But they canít, after one taste, youíll never betray me
You like how I make you feelÖthey say 21 and up,
But even small children find a way to obtain me/
Ads tell you to use me responsibly but
Thereís no responsible use besides ****in you up
Youíre so stupid, Iíll let you consume me and sip
Until you die, then I find somebody else Iíma hit
IHeartMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 01:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ban Captain Caveman
 
PaperHurricanesAndPlanes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: In The Realms of Poetry
Posts: 560
Default

This is terrible.
__________________
Quote:
Wolverinewolfweiselpigeon said:

What's with people dying? Shit.
PaperHurricanesAndPlanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 08:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperHurricanesAndPlanes View Post
This is terrible.
Eh, not a fan of rap music, are you? You're literally the first person I've heard who doesn't like it...the first verse is speaking from the p.o.v. of a drunk person, and the second is speaking from the p.o.v. of an actual bottle of whiskey. The excessive cursing is to emulate a drunk person, if that's what made you dislike it.

But hey, everyone has their opinion.
IHeartMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 08:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Joplin, MO
Posts: 468
Default

Yeah, it ruled. Alcohol sucks, it tastes terrible, and makes you feel awful + I'm a huge Nas fan, so I'll have to chec k that song out. I guess alcohol in our society has to be the consummate example of peer pressure, because the fact that it tastes so awful and yet so many people do it.So yeah, pretty much the whole song was tight, because it gave a lot of specific examples of the effects of alcohol, and also was pretty relentless in its honest attack on people's ignorance. Two thumbs up, or yeah, like, two bottles up, dude, huh huh
TheUsedToolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 09:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ban Captain Caveman
 
PaperHurricanesAndPlanes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: In The Realms of Poetry
Posts: 560
Default

It's still bad. And do you mean you used the exact instrumental from Nas' song? Then you should probably get your own beat.
__________________
Quote:
Wolverinewolfweiselpigeon said:

What's with people dying? Shit.
PaperHurricanesAndPlanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

I can make anybody pretty
I can make you believe any lie
I can make you pick a fight
with somebody twice
your size

Well I've been known to cause a few breakups
and I've been known to cause a few births
I can make you new friends
Or get you fired from work

And since the day I left Milwaukee
Lynchburg, Bordeaux, France
Been makin the bars
With lots of big money
and helpin white people dance
I got you in trouble in high school
and college now that was a ball
you had some of the best times
you'll never remember with me
Alcohol, Alcohol

I got blamed at your wedding reception
for your best man's embarrassing speech
and also for those naked pictures of you at the beach
I've influenced kings and world leaders
I helped Hemingway write like he did
and I'll bet you a drink or two that I can make you
put that lampshade on your head

And since the day I left Milwaukee
Lynchburg, Bordeaux, France
Been makin a fool out of folks
just like you
and helpin white people dance
I am medicine and I am poison
I can help you up or make you fall
you had some of the best times
you'll never remember with me
Alcohol

And since the day I left Milwaukee
Lynchburg, Bordeaux, France
Been makin the bars
With lots of big money
and helpin white people dance
I got you in trouble in high school
and college now that was a ball
you had some of the best times
you'll never remember with me
Alcohol, Alcohol
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperHurricanesAndPlanes View Post
It's still bad. And do you mean you used the exact instrumental from Nas' song? Then you should probably get your own beat.
I used the exact instrumental, but it's not like I'm recording this for an album I'm recording; it's just something I wrote for the hell of it. I've been looking for other beats to match it, but haven't come across anything yet.

What do you think is so bad about it though? I'm always open to constructive criticism, but you haven't offered anything aside from the fact that you don't like it.
IHeartMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I can make anybody pretty
I can make you believe any lie
I can make you pick a fight
with somebody twice
your size

Well I've been known to cause a few breakups
and I've been known to cause a few births
I can make you new friends
Or get you fired from work

And since the day I left Milwaukee
Lynchburg, Bordeaux, France
Been makin the bars
With lots of big money
and helpin white people dance
I got you in trouble in high school
and college now that was a ball
you had some of the best times
you'll never remember with me
Alcohol, Alcohol

I got blamed at your wedding reception
for your best man's embarrassing speech
and also for those naked pictures of you at the beach
I've influenced kings and world leaders
I helped Hemingway write like he did
and I'll bet you a drink or two that I can make you
put that lampshade on your head

And since the day I left Milwaukee
Lynchburg, Bordeaux, France
Been makin a fool out of folks
just like you
and helpin white people dance
I am medicine and I am poison
I can help you up or make you fall
you had some of the best times
you'll never remember with me
Alcohol

And since the day I left Milwaukee
Lynchburg, Bordeaux, France
Been makin the bars
With lots of big money
and helpin white people dance
I got you in trouble in high school
and college now that was a ball
you had some of the best times
you'll never remember with me
Alcohol, Alcohol
I like! In the same vein of mine...a lil simpler, but sometimes, simpler is better. I think both of ours would work for different listeners. Good job though
IHeartMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 12:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

Its a Brad Paisley song....



Anyway, I understand in rap its normal to say wit instead of with or ya instead of your but when typing it out on the forum just say with and your it makes it look much more intelligent.

I don't care for this, for one the last verse seems like a Brad Paisley knock off and it seems like you've never really had experience with alcoholism its more like you saw a TV show or something and wrote about it. I think taking a much less angsty/angry stance would be much more powerful or maybe a look at a specific situation and then telling about that situation. My personal opinion is personal writing is much better then general writing to apply to everyone because it evokes much more emotion.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 12:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
Its a Brad Paisley song....



Anyway, I understand in rap its normal to say wit instead of with or ya instead of your but when typing it out on the forum just say with and your it makes it look much more intelligent.

I don't care for this, for one the last verse seems like a Brad Paisley knock off and it seems like you've never really had experience with alcoholism its more like you saw a TV show or something and wrote about it. I think taking a much less angsty/angry stance would be much more powerful or maybe a look at a specific situation and then telling about that situation. My personal opinion is personal writing is much better then general writing to apply to everyone because it evokes much more emotion.
Thanks for the feedback. Regarding the use of "wit" instead of "with," honestly, if the usage of that word is going to take away from the message of the song that much, then I think that the listener/reader of that verse is on a different plane altogether. That sounds like a continuous criticism used by people who don't listen to rap/hip-hop, when the fact of the matter is, hip-hop has its own vernacular, and its own syntax/context for said vernacular - if you don't listen to it, you're either going to not understand it, or just devalue the music altogether. No disrespect to you; just a general find.

Additionally, for the last verse seeming like a Brad Paisley knockoff, I don't think hip-hop listeners would think that, considering that Brad Paisley is a country artist, which many rap fans don't listen to. As far as it being too negative, I've seen alcohol do a lot of negative to my family and to myself, including me nearly getting killed by a drunk driver. Plus, I made it a point to not just preach about the negativity that comes from it. I tried to actually relate to alcoholics' views and investigate why people turn to alcohol, with lines like this:

You must admit, in between, we had some good times
I gave you all that confidence to mack on them dimes
And you would give me to them, they feelin me too
**** up their brain, persuading them to give you the cooch/
When ya moms died, and friends was too busy to console you
I was there, never left, I would hug you, and hold you
Vomit for hours every morning, but thatís a sacrifice
Youíre willing to make, I clear your mind and help you sleep at night

and, "*** it I'm through, being sober hasn't worked for me, so I'm bout to really see what these drugs really do"

The second verse was just a little more experimental, as far as personifying a bottle of alcohol. The first verse was a verse about a man on the edge, feeling like it's him against the world ("what's "it"? my temper, my pain and my circumstances/like the world knows EVERY last nerve, and it's workin at em
im killin everything, everybody in my path/whether its 1, or 100, or a thousand, feel my wrath"), while the second verse touches on both immensely negative situations and light-hearted ones, like using it to get women (well, light-hearted, depending on perspective).

I look at alcohol as a negative, but I thought that I presented different sides of what alcohol can do, and how/why people actually get addicted. Still, I appreciate the feedback.

Last edited by IHeartMusic; 04-09-2007 at 01:31 AM.
IHeartMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.