Bec's Poetry Corner - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Artists Corner > Song Writing, Lyrics and Poetry
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2013, 07:21 PM   #21 (permalink)
Psycho Hosebeast
 
CoolBec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Southeast U.S.
Posts: 122
Default

Aw thanks..glad you liked it. Finding the right person to spend my life with really did pull me out of a dark time in my life, so that's what it's about.

If you have any of your own please post something.

Btw..I'm really enjoying your journal. As a piano player who also plays a little guitar now, I can relate. And your festival tips brought back fond memories of SXSW.

Last edited by CoolBec; 08-11-2013 at 07:29 PM.
CoolBec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #22 (permalink)
Psycho Hosebeast
 
CoolBec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Southeast U.S.
Posts: 122
Default

This is a popular piece by Robert Frost. It's about a person who loves nature and the outdoors and longs for more time in their busy life to enjoy it. I can so relate!!
============================


Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening`

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound’s the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep

CoolBec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:09 PM   #23 (permalink)
Do good.
 
Blarobbarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 2,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBec View Post
Here's something a little different. I prefer poetry with some kind of structure to it, but there are ways to give structure to a verse besides just rhyming, like haiku for example. I'm intrigued with coming up with unique ways to give a poem structure.

It's still a love sonnet though...kinda




The Lifeboat

Sequestered by the waters of life, trapped on an island of despair
my horizon barren of hope
going nowhere...

Stripped of the clothing of contentment, naked on a cay of anguish
my days barren of expectation
it comes to me!

Shrouded in moralistic servitude...had it been there all along?
my heart barren of perception?
Love is my lifeboat!

(Becky P. 2013)
This is probably my favorite of all the poems you've posted so far. Personally, I actually prefer poetry that is rhythmic rather than rhyming. It may come from my love of percussion, I'm not really sure. Anyway, that's a non sequitor. Great work with this one, I love that it's a love poem, but takes a completely different direction that your other work.
__________________
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Blarobbarg

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆ ^my RYM^  。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆

(◠‿◠✿)
Blarobbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #24 (permalink)
Psycho Hosebeast
 
CoolBec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Southeast U.S.
Posts: 122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blarobbarg View Post
This is probably my favorite of all the poems you've posted so far. Personally, I actually prefer poetry that is rhythmic rather than rhyming. It may come from my love of percussion, I'm not really sure. Anyway, that's a non sequitor. Great work with this one, I love that it's a love poem, but takes a completely different direction that your other work.
Glad you liked it B. As I've said before, my best muse is personal experience. It's always been difficult for me to get "poetic" about something unless I have strong feelings connected to it, so I guess that's why most of my stuff is about love...or lust..lol.
========================================


Flower of Love

by Becky P.

The perfume of your arousal heightens my sense.
I want not wine; your fragrance looms
in the moment, rare...tense
Your flower blooms

Its petals tempt my amorous lips
Its crimson heart is radiant now with dew
Touched gently with fingertips
O flower of love! I give myself to you

CoolBec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:37 PM   #25 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
katsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 286
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBec View Post
This is a popular piece by Robert Frost. It's about a person who loves nature and the outdoors and longs for more time in their busy life to enjoy it. I can so relate!!
============================


Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening`

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound’s the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep

Love this. I was quoting this the other day on our eight hour drive home. "And miles to go before I sleep."
__________________
Split the Lark-- and you'll find the Music - Emily Dickinson
katsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:39 PM   #26 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
katsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 286
Default

Another favorite nature poem(or it is for me):

When I Heard the Learn’d Astronomer
By Walt Whitman

When I heard the learn’d astronomer,
When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me,
When I was shown the charts and diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them,
When I sitting heard the astronomer where he lectured with much applause in the lecture-room,
How soon unaccountable I became tired and sick,
Till rising and gliding out I wander’d off by myself,
In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time,
Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars.
__________________
Split the Lark-- and you'll find the Music - Emily Dickinson
katsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:39 AM   #27 (permalink)
A.B.N.
 
djchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NY baby
Posts: 11,160
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsy View Post
Love this. I was quoting this the other day on our eight hour drive home. "And miles to go before I sleep."
argh I knew that I knew that line what's his face kept quoting in Death Proof.

That's the poem ugh.
__________________
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
IMO I don't know jack-**** though so don't listen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The problem is that most police officers in America are psychopaths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You're a terrible dictionary.
djchameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:26 PM   #28 (permalink)
Psycho Hosebeast
 
CoolBec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Southeast U.S.
Posts: 122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsy View Post
Another favorite nature poem(or it is for me):

When I Heard the Learn’d Astronomer
By Walt Whitman

When I heard the learn’d astronomer,
When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me,
When I was shown the charts and diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them,
When I sitting heard the astronomer where he lectured with much applause in the lecture-room,
How soon unaccountable I became tired and sick,
Till rising and gliding out I wander’d off by myself,
In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time,
Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars.
Yeah, that's a lovely piece. Whitman and Kilmer are two of my faves for that kinda stuff. Thanks for posting!
__________________
CoolBec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #29 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBec View Post

It's still a love sonnet though...kinda


The Lifeboat

Sequestered by the waters of life, trapped on an island of despair
my horizon barren of hope
going nowhere...

Stripped of the clothing of contentment, naked on a cay of anguish
my days barren of expectation
it comes to me!

Shrouded in moralistic servitude...had it been there all along?
my heart barren of perception?
Love is my lifeboat!

(Becky P. 2013)
Heavy on the "kinda," seeing as both traditional sonnet forms--the Italian and English--have 14 lines and are written in iambic pentameter. There are, of course, many variations, such as Hopkins' curtal sonnet, the caudate sonnet popularized by Milton and the emerging sonnetoid form--just to name a few. But your poem doesn't really share any of the well-established traits of the sonnet form, the primary being that a "problem" is established and then finally resolved by the end of the poem.

The sonnet, historically speaking, was written by a man for an unobtainable woman. While many have played with this form (think Donne's Holy Sonnets or even Anne Bradstreet's poems for her husband, children, and grandchildren), this poem, I would be hard-pressed to say, is anything near a sonnet. This poem really doesn't convey any sort of meaningful rhetoric, isn't written in meter, and doesn't have a volta that segues into a resolution. This poem falls closer in line to being a free verse poem.

Yours in Christ,

Dr. Boo Bear
Dr. Boo Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:34 AM   #30 (permalink)
Psycho Hosebeast
 
CoolBec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Southeast U.S.
Posts: 122
Default

Hence the "kinda"

You're of course technically correct. But the term "sonnet" has also come to be fairly generic in its contemporary usage, especially in an informal context.
__________________

Last edited by CoolBec; 08-20-2013 at 07:38 PM.
CoolBec is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2022 Advameg, Inc.