Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Avant Garde/Experimental
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Choose.
Trout Mask Replica (1969) 26 47.27%
The Velvet Underground & Nico (1967) 29 52.73%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 06:36 PM   #31 (permalink)
stay the |fvck| inside
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North of Antarctica
Posts: 33,157
Default

I believe that while Trout Mask Replica has done more for avant-garde music, it's hard to deny that The Velvet Underground and Nico expanded the avant-garde community. Most avant-gardists that I know have been drawn into the genre through Frank Zappa, free jazz, and/or The Velvet Underground and Nico (along with their other records, of course).
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:27 PM   #32 (permalink)
Trolier Than Thou
 
Forward To Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,328
Default

Trout Mask Replica and VU & Nico are totally seperate imo. They're both experimental, but like, Trout Mask is like nonsense, so more avant garde. VU & Nico has beautiful lyrics and is less chaotic. Overall VU & Nico is better, but imo TMR epitomizes the genre, and is artistic in its own way.

I went with TMR because of how influential it is for the genre, whereas VU & Nico was more influential on alternative genres than experimental.

Tough decision though.
Forward To Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:49 PM   #33 (permalink)
Al Dente
 
SATCHMO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,689
Default

Both are pretty landmark albums and both are, to me, fairly overrated. Going further, both are hallmarked by what I consider to be some of the most annoying vocals ever recorded. With respect to & Nico though, the entire album isn't replete with her musings, so I take the good with the bad.

I've never been able to really listen to Beefheart or TMR, but I respect it quite a bit for it's creative genius. On the other hand I love VU, but just happen to hate the sound of Nico's voice. I think VU have put out better albums. I'd say both White Light, White Heat and Loaded are better than & Nico, but I tend to be of the minority in believing that. Even though I'm not a fan of the album or the artist, I'm going to say that Trout Mask Replica is a better album as a whole.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord
And if you're getting bored then feel free to go give Eddie Vedder a handjob.
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:18 PM   #34 (permalink)
Aka Cenotaph
 
TockTockTock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,888
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forward To Death View Post
Trout Mask Replica and VU & Nico are totally seperate imo. They're both experimental, but like, Trout Mask is like nonsense, so more avant garde. VU & Nico has beautiful lyrics and is less chaotic. Overall VU & Nico is better, but imo TMR epitomizes the genre, and is artistic in its own way.

I went with TMR because of how influential it is for the genre, whereas VU & Nico was more influential on alternative genres than experimental.

Tough decision though.
How is Trout Mask Replica "like nonsense?"
TockTockTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:45 PM   #35 (permalink)
Trolier Than Thou
 
Forward To Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,328
Default

It's very ambiguous, and it takes thought to make sense of the lyrics, like most avant garde.
Forward To Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:06 AM   #36 (permalink)
Al Dente
 
SATCHMO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,689
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Pat View Post


How is Trout Mask Replica "like nonsense?"
I mean the entire album sounds like an earnest attempt at being artfully random, so nonsense isn't too much of a stretch when describing it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord
And if you're getting bored then feel free to go give Eddie Vedder a handjob.
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:59 AM   #37 (permalink)
Aka Cenotaph
 
TockTockTock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,888
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forward To Death View Post
It's very ambiguous, and it takes thought to make sense of the lyrics, like most avant garde.
Glad to hear this. Most of the people whom I have met simply dismiss the lyrics as not making any sense... When in reality, you just need to put forth a bit of time and effort into interpreting/understanding them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCHMO View Post
I mean the entire album sounds like an earnest attempt at being artfully random, so nonsense isn't too much of a stretch when describing it.
Well, yea. Van Vliet said that the concept behind the album was to make music that was unpredictable and that caused the listener to have to focus on more than one thing at a time. For me, with each listen of the album, I learn something completely new because there is just so much going on within the music. Now, I wouldn't use the word "nonsense," but I understand what you mean.
TockTockTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #38 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
blastingas10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCHMO View Post
Both are pretty landmark albums and both are, to me, fairly overrated. Going further, both are hallmarked by what I consider to be some of the most annoying vocals ever recorded. With respect to & Nico though, the entire album isn't replete with her musings, so I take the good with the bad.

I've never been able to really listen to Beefheart or TMR, but I respect it quite a bit for it's creative genius. On the other hand I love VU, but just happen to hate the sound of Nico's voice. I think VU have put out better albums. I'd say both White Light, White Heat and Loaded are better than & Nico, but I tend to be of the minority in believing that. Even though I'm not a fan of the album or the artist, I'm going to say that Trout Mask Replica is a better album as a whole.

I agree, Nicos voice is pretty unbearable.

TMR is the better avant-garde album, but that doesn't make it the better album overall. VU & Nico is overall the better album.
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #39 (permalink)
Aka Cenotaph
 
TockTockTock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,888
Default

I don't understand the dislike of Nico's voice. Personally, I love it.
TockTockTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:15 PM   #40 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
blastingas10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,108
Default

Theres one instance when I like her voice, in the song "these days".
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.