Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2008, 01:00 AM   #261 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 271
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unfan View Post
Good job not reading her post.
i'm so sorry that you weren't able to connect the two,

but i did read,

and answer

her post.

Hey, man! Pass that over THIS way, eh?
WendyCal is offline  
Old 11-02-2008, 01:02 AM   #262 (permalink)
Freeskier
 
jibber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Istanbul was Constantinople now it's Istanbul not Constantinople...
Posts: 1,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyCal View Post
i'm so sorry that you weren't able to connect the two,

but i did read,

and answer

her post.

Hey, man! Pass that over THIS way, eh?
no you didn't read,

or answer

my post.
__________________
What you've done becomes the judge of what you're going to do -- especially in other people's minds. When you're traveling, you are what you are right there and then. People don't have your past to hold against you. No yesterdays on the road.
William Least Heat Moon, Blue Highways


Your toughest competitor lives in your head. Some days his name is fear, or pain, or gravity. Stomp his ass.

HOOKED ON THE WHITE POWDER
jibber is offline  
Old 11-02-2008, 01:07 AM   #263 (permalink)
Occams Razor
 
Son of JayJamJah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: End of the Earth
Posts: 2,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibber View Post
No, NOT EVERYONE believed that iraq had WMD's at the time. A huge number of people in the US did not think so, and so did a MASSIVE number of people in canada and other nations.

yes, as i stated earlier, NOW iraq is a hotbed for al-queda operations, after sadam was ousted. they were not, and had not been present before the war.

yes, i do want to say the war was mismanaged. I do want to say that it was a short sighted, and VERY misguided approach to the war on terror. I am making a case against the war based on my personal morals and beliefs.

I do not, however, see this issue as black and white as you do. I do not think that bombing the **** out of a country because of a minority of fanatical people. I do not see that war is the answer in fighting terrorism or anti-wester sentiment in the middle east. Any intelligent person can see that war will never be the answer to this. There has been years of oppression and poverty imposed by puppet governments of the west, and this anti-western sentiment has been so indoctrinated that unless we actually go to the route of the cause, it will never be solved.

People there hate us because they are desperately poor, have no access to education, and have been brainwashed to think that the western infidels are the cause of all their problems. They have seen their governments extort them and drain all resources away to benefit only the rich minority, and they have been told it is the US's fault. BOMBING them isnt going to help increase their regard for the US.
I don't want to argue semantics or talking points. But no nation had intelligence to the contrary of American intelligence. I don't care what Sean Penn or Guy Le**** from Ottawa think and more then they care what I think.

I do want to discuss ideas and phiolosophy and you have some of both I disagree with. You are exactly right in isolating the cause of the anti-Western sentiment. However I do think overthrowing a brutal tyrant like Saddam and staying to help rebuild the nation is a good way to build pro-western sentiment. Have you seen the videos of people embracing and welcoming US soldiers? Have you talked to a soldier who was there?

The greatest plight to middle eastern culture is not modern western culture but religion. There has been turmoil, decent, hostility's and and out and out lack of humanity in that region of the world forever, literally always as long as we have records. And all of their wars are based on a extreme religious fundamentals and God\Allah serving as motivation often times for both sides.

Also image and bigger picture aside the greater concern in the right now has to be the fact that Islamo-Facists want to kill us and that they only respond to violence. They are bullies if you tell them not to do something they do it. If you ask them nice not to do something they agree and then do it anyway. If you barter they take your chips and never hold up their own end. You have to kill them, because if you don't they will kill you. I really believe it's that simple, that black and white. Most things are given enough thought, it always starts with motivation, that'll help you paint the rest of the picture.

And we don't bomb innocent people, at least not intentionally.
__________________
Me, Myself and I United as One

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard adolescent View Post
i prefer foreplay. the orgasm is overrated.
If you're posting in the music forums make sure to be thoughtful and expressive, if you're posting in the lounge ask yourself "is this something that adds to the conversation?" It's important to remember that a lot of people use each thread. You're probably not as funny or clever as you think, I know I'm not.

My Van Morrison Discography Thread
Son of JayJamJah is offline  
Old 11-02-2008, 01:12 AM   #264 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 271
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibber View Post
No, NOT EVERYONE believed that iraq had WMD's at the time. A huge number of people in the US did not think so, and so did a MASSIVE number of people in canada and other nations.

yes, as i stated earlier, NOW iraq is a hotbed for al-queda operations, after sadam was ousted. they were not, and had not been present before the war.

yes, i do want to say the war was mismanaged. I do want to say that it was a short sighted, and VERY misguided approach to the war on terror. I am making a case against the war based on my personal morals and beliefs.

I do not, however, see this issue as black and white as you do. I do not think that bombing the **** out of a country because of a minority of fanatical people. I do not see that war is the answer in fighting terrorism or anti-wester sentiment in the middle east. Any intelligent person can see that war will never be the answer to this. There has been years of oppression and poverty imposed by puppet governments of the west, and this anti-western sentiment has been so indoctrinated that unless we actually go to the route of the cause, it will never be solved.

People there hate us because they are desperately poor, have no access to education, and have been brainwashed to think that the western infidels are the cause of all their problems. They have seen their governments extort them and drain all resources away to benefit only the rich minority, and they have been told it is the US's fault. BOMBING them isnt going to help increase their regard for the US.
Okay, well, now i'd like to see some sources re:huge number of Americans thought...; MASSIVE numbers of Canadians thought...;

Oh. NOW, it's a hotbed of terrorist activity. Now that we've moved in, guns blazing and all. i don't know about you, but if i was some sort of terrorist? i don't think i'd go to the war, especially if i knew where it was going to be hosted...

Jibber? It was our country that was attacked. It's our decision how to handle that attack. If Canada doesn't like it, oh well. If the U.N. doesn't like it, oh well. WE were attacked, and we retaliated, rather than just sit back and twiddle our thumbs until the citizenry could be polled for ideas.

That's the thing i was talking about, where someONE is in charge.
WendyCal is offline  
Old 11-02-2008, 01:15 AM   #265 (permalink)
Occams Razor
 
Son of JayJamJah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: End of the Earth
Posts: 2,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unfan View Post
The difference in wealth seems to call for it though. When the top 20% make up over 90% of the wealth there needs to be proportionate taxation. You can't reasonably expect less than 10% of the nation's wealth to pick up the slack where the other 90% of the wealth wasn't taxed enough. The problem isn't the oddness of the taxation, but how poorly the dollars are spent.
That is so ridiculous. That logic assumes one of two things indisputably.

A) People who make less money are less capable biological then their more fiscally productive counterparts.

B) People should be punished for success.

Which is it?

There is no reason anyone regardless of income should have to pay a higher or lower percentage of the money they earn to the government. The government should have to budget and spend wisely just like the rest of us.

And of course government is inherently corrupt. It is a position of great power people seek great power to A) make use of it B) exploit it

When 50% hell likes say 10% of your applicants are group B some are going to slip through the cracks. Recent history suggests the first number is more accurate then the second.
__________________
Me, Myself and I United as One

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard adolescent View Post
i prefer foreplay. the orgasm is overrated.
If you're posting in the music forums make sure to be thoughtful and expressive, if you're posting in the lounge ask yourself "is this something that adds to the conversation?" It's important to remember that a lot of people use each thread. You're probably not as funny or clever as you think, I know I'm not.

My Van Morrison Discography Thread
Son of JayJamJah is offline  
Old 11-02-2008, 01:16 AM   #266 (permalink)
Freeskier
 
jibber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Istanbul was Constantinople now it's Istanbul not Constantinople...
Posts: 1,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJamJah View Post
I don't want to argue semantics or talking points. But no nation had intelligence to the contrary of American intelligence. I don't care what Sean Penn or Guy Le**** from Ottawa think and more then they care what I think.

I do want to discuss ideas and phiolosophy and you have some of both I disagree with. You are exactly right in isolating the cause of the anti-Western sentiment. However I do think overthrowing a brutal tyrant like Saddam and staying to help rebuild the nation is a good way to build pro-western sentiment. Have you seen the videos of people embracing and welcoming US soldiers? Have you talked to a soldier who was there?

The greatest plight to middle eastern culture is not modern western culture but religion. There has been turmoil, decent, hostility's and and out and out lack of humanity in that region of the world forever, literally always as long as we have records. And all of their wars are based on a extreme religious fundamentals and God\Allah serving as motivation often times for both sides.

Also image and bigger picture aside the greater concern in the right now has to be the fact that Islamo-Facists want to kill us and that they only respond to violence. They are bullies if you tell them not to do something they do it. If you ask them nice not to do something they agree and then do it anyway. If you barter they take your chips and never hold up their own end. You have to kill them, because if you don't they will kill you. I really believe it's that simple, that black and white. Most things are given enough thought, it always starts with motivation, that'll help you paint the rest of the picture.

And we don't bomb innocent people, at least not intentionally.
No, the rest of the world did not have intelligence that proved Bush to be wrong, what the rest of the world DID have was the sense to stay out of it and to condemn it until other options have been tried.

Yes, overthrowing Sadam did help, but don't kid yourself that the country is being "rebuilt" now. The country is still being ripped apart by way, and will be for years to come now since the two warring factions of the party are not even close to a reconciliation.

You're whole argument about iraq responding to nothing but violence is entirely unjustified, as iraq had made no actual attack on the US. In Afghanistan, the UN was on board with invading because the leader, Bin Laden, attacked the US. Iraq made no such attack on the US, and thus the UN did not sanction the invasion.

I think you are dead wrong about religion being the main culprit. The main culprit has always been the lack of education and the huge disparity between the rich and the poor in the middle east. Since the beginning rich landowners in the middle east have used religious fervor as a weapon to control the lower class and use them as puppets for their own personal gain. The rich who were in control of the middle east were always the worst oppressors of their own people. The kept them without access to education for hundreds of years, kept them in poverty, did nothing to spread health care, and as a result, they were left with an angry, bitter, and uneducated population that was ready to be whipped into a religious frenzy because their religion was all they had. If their leaders goaded them into a holy war, and told them that the other side was the reason they were suffering, they would do it.

Religion has never been the culprit, it was only the tool.
__________________
What you've done becomes the judge of what you're going to do -- especially in other people's minds. When you're traveling, you are what you are right there and then. People don't have your past to hold against you. No yesterdays on the road.
William Least Heat Moon, Blue Highways


Your toughest competitor lives in your head. Some days his name is fear, or pain, or gravity. Stomp his ass.

HOOKED ON THE WHITE POWDER
jibber is offline  
Old 11-02-2008, 01:16 AM   #267 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Methville
Posts: 2,116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJamJah View Post
The greatest plight to middle eastern culture is not modern western culture but religion.
Also the greatest plight of the western culture. Go figure.

Quote:
Also image and bigger picture aside the greater concern in the right now has to be the fact that Islamo-Facists want to kill us and that they only respond to violence. They are bullies if you tell them not to do something they do it. If you ask them nice not to do something they agree and then do it anyway. If you barter they take your chips and never hold up their own end. You have to kill them, because if you don't they will kill you. I really believe it's that simple, that black and white. Most things are given enough thought, it always starts with motivation, that'll help you paint the rest of the picture.
Could you imagine giving this advice to kids? "Son, I know there is a bully who has been taking your lunch money. Perhaps you should kill him."

On a more serious note, I think painting it in such a black and white requires completely ignoring third parties. There are more than two sides in this war, and the people cought right in the middle are of just as much value as anyone else.
The Unfan is offline  
Old 11-02-2008, 01:18 AM   #268 (permalink)
Freeskier
 
jibber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Istanbul was Constantinople now it's Istanbul not Constantinople...
Posts: 1,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyCal View Post
Okay, well, now i'd like to see some sources re:huge number of Americans thought...; MASSIVE numbers of Canadians thought...;

Oh. NOW, it's a hotbed of terrorist activity. Now that we've moved in, guns blazing and all. i don't know about you, but if i was some sort of terrorist? i don't think i'd go to the war, especially if i knew where it was going to be hosted...

Jibber? It was our country that was attacked. It's our decision how to handle that attack. If Canada doesn't like it, oh well. If the U.N. doesn't like it, oh well. WE were attacked, and we retaliated, rather than just sit back and twiddle our thumbs until the citizenry could be polled for ideas.

That's the thing i was talking about, where someONE is in charge.
No. YOU were not attacked by IRAQ. YOU were attacked by AFGHANISTAN. IRAQ. AFGHANISTAN. IRAQ. AFGHANISTAN. TWO DIFFERENT COUNTRIES.

The rest of the world did not agree because collectively, the majority of the countries in the UN did not think the war just.
__________________
What you've done becomes the judge of what you're going to do -- especially in other people's minds. When you're traveling, you are what you are right there and then. People don't have your past to hold against you. No yesterdays on the road.
William Least Heat Moon, Blue Highways


Your toughest competitor lives in your head. Some days his name is fear, or pain, or gravity. Stomp his ass.

HOOKED ON THE WHITE POWDER
jibber is offline  
Old 11-02-2008, 01:23 AM   #269 (permalink)
Freeskier
 
jibber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Istanbul was Constantinople now it's Istanbul not Constantinople...
Posts: 1,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJamJah View Post
That is so ridiculous. That logic assumes one of two things indisputably.

A) People who make less money are less capable biological then their more fiscally productive counterparts.

B) People should be punished for success.

Which is it?

There is no reason anyone regardless of income should have to pay a higher or lower percentage of the money they earn to the government. The government should have to budget and spend wisely just like the rest of us.

And of course government is inherently corrupt. It is a position of great power people seek great power to A) make use of it B) exploit it

When 50% hell likes say 10% of your applicants are group B some are going to slip through the cracks. Recent history suggests the first number is more accurate then the second.
No, the poor are not biologically less able to make money than the rich; they are circumstantially less able to make money from the rich. Someone who comes from a very affluent background has a very easy time of making money compared to someone who's parents are living odd of welfare to be able to afford rent and food since their minimum wage jobs don't cover expenses.

And if you're going to argue technicalities in the issue of government being inherently corrupt, you're doing it wrong.

A government itself is not inherently anything. It is the framework by which the people create a means of controlling a larger body of people. The people who make it up may be corrupt, but no government itself is inherently corrupt, as it can not have any human failings attached to it until there is a human present.
__________________
What you've done becomes the judge of what you're going to do -- especially in other people's minds. When you're traveling, you are what you are right there and then. People don't have your past to hold against you. No yesterdays on the road.
William Least Heat Moon, Blue Highways


Your toughest competitor lives in your head. Some days his name is fear, or pain, or gravity. Stomp his ass.

HOOKED ON THE WHITE POWDER
jibber is offline  
Old 11-02-2008, 01:23 AM   #270 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 271
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibber View Post
no, i can't see that, because that's not the big picture. The "big picture" is not that the US wanted to "help" the iraqi's. If that were the case, then the war would have been pitched to congress as a humanitarian intervention as opposed to a move in defense. You have no logic or facts backing up that statement.
OIC

So.

Canadians think we went over to Iraq to strafe and kill everything in our path, all because of 9-11, with no (well, i mean, there WAS provocation), but, well, no "evidence."

If that's what y'all think,

Hey! Kick back and relax. The mushroom is coming.

If you truly think those folks are so put upon,

GO THERE!

TALK TO THEM!

Jibber? You're a photographer. You can go take pix. Go see what those folks are feeling, how they're having to live...

If you make it back in one piece, you know, WITH your head (they seem to have some sort of beheading fixation...) come tell us all about it, okay?
WendyCal is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.