Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The MB Reader > Editors Pick
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2011, 04:18 AM   #401 (permalink)
A.B.N.
 
djchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NY baby
Posts: 11,155
Default

__________________
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
IMO I don't know jack-**** though so don't listen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The problem is that most police officers in America are psychopaths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You're a terrible dictionary.
djchameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:32 AM   #402 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 255
Default

They canned a show the other day because some dickhead nearly hit Syd with glass bottles.
supermarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:55 PM   #403 (permalink)
snickers
 
Trauma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: detroit
Posts: 2,194
Default

^
That was in Detroit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDEyBBiqJ58

Hipster Runoff (although not the authority) classifies them as a buzz band, which is not far from the mark IMO.
Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All | HIPSTER RUNOFF
Runoff proposed that this "on stage meltdown" signified a part of the end of their good "buzz."
Who knows?
Tyler's new album dropped a few weeks ago and I think it did 50,000 in the first week, which isn't terrible.

Personally, I like and dislike their music.
I like the raps and beats, but the lyrics are not spectacular.
Tyler is steadfast in his opposition of the word "horrorcore" but I think that's a dangerous thing to do when he has so many hundreds of thousands of 14 year old impressionable hot topic shoppers following his music.
__________________
A mi no me importa nada
Para mi la vida es un sueño
Trauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:08 AM   #404 (permalink)
Desinigga
 
CHCl3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 216
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjerome View Post
Brilliant marketing move.

I did not know who in the **** Tegan and Sara were before this letter. I actually listened to their music on their website to see what it was about. Too bad it was complete and utter crap.
CHCl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:31 PM   #405 (permalink)
snickers
 
Trauma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: detroit
Posts: 2,194
Default

They were actually pretty well-known beforehand.
I don't believe at all that it was a publicity stunt.
Fear of increased levels of homophobia, rape and domestic violence are very valid concerns when teenagers are pushed music featuring such crass and horrific lyrics.
Tegan and Sara, being lesbians, had legitimate concerns about the level of publicity achieved by OFWGKTA.
Although I like the group, it is nonetheless a strong concern how other people besides OFWGKTA, specifically young teens, are interpreting the music.
I'm sure not everyone takes it as a joke.
__________________
A mi no me importa nada
Para mi la vida es un sueño
Trauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:40 PM   #406 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
midnight rain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma View Post
They were actually pretty well-known beforehand.
I don't believe at all that it was a publicity stunt.
Fear of increased levels of homophobia, rape and domestic violence are very valid concerns when teenagers are pushed music featuring such crass and horrific lyrics.
Tegan and Sara, being lesbians, had legitimate concerns about the level of publicity achieved by OFWGKTA.
Although I like the group, it is nonetheless a strong concern how other people besides OFWGKTA, specifically young teens, are interpreting the music.
I'm sure not everyone takes it as a joke.
Musicians shouldn't have to walk on eggshells because there's a few crazies out there. People who actually take OFWGKTA seriously are probably ticking time bombs who would find another form of media to feed the void in their personalities if Odd Future didn't exist anyways.

I'd think MB members would understand expression of art and not come to Tegan & Sara's defense.
__________________
last.fm
midnight rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:48 PM   #407 (permalink)
snickers
 
Trauma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: detroit
Posts: 2,194
Default

You walk a fine line with the argument of artistic expression when your core demographic is synonymous with that of Hot Topic.
That being said, I don't think what OFWGKTA or Tyler, the Creator are doing is honestly that new or fresh, it's just the new thing in the spotlight.
I like the music, but all of Tegan and Sara's arguments were legitimate IMHO.
__________________
A mi no me importa nada
Para mi la vida es un sueño
Trauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:57 PM   #408 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 973
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
Musicians shouldn't have to walk on eggshells because there's a few crazies out there. People who actually take OFWGKTA seriously are probably ticking time bombs who would find another form of media to feed the void in their personalities if Odd Future didn't exist anyways.

I'd think MB members would understand expression of art and not come to Tegan & Sara's defense.
It amazes me that people like you still don't get it. I'm not even saying I agree with everything Teagan and Sara (and others) have to say, but to call them ticking time bobms or crazy or whatever is just retarded.

Like is it really that tough for you to understand? Why WOULDN'T a gay female be at least slightly offended by a up-and-coming rapper, whose audience is largely impressionable teens, rapping primarily about killings ***gots and raping women? I don't understand how people like you consider THEM crazy because they... put out a letter on their website stating their disapproval. Oh man! How insane of them!! They are gay women and they oppose anti-gay and rape lyrics!?!?! TIME BOMBS!!!

And do you actually think anyone takes it super serious, as in thinking Tyler actually rapes or kills anyone? Surely they don't, and I feel like almost everyone realizes it's a character rapping... I wish I could think of a lifestyle equivalent that would be equally offensive to a white male, but I'm not sure there is one. But Like I said before, even as a character and obviously false, the black community would be OUTRAGED if someone as popular as Tyler (but white) was making half his songs about "killing niggers".

-Sorry for coming off as harsh, I don't hate you dude but this has been building up in this thread awhile cause it makes no damn sense to me how teagan and Sara are looked at as idiots because they oppose anti-gay and pro-rape lyrics.
Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:03 PM   #409 (permalink)
not really
 
Sparky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma View Post
You walk a fine line with the argument of artistic expression when your core demographic is synonymous with that of Hot Topic.
Stop with the hot topic connection. Plenty of stupid artists with stupider messages have crap at hot topic, it really doesn't matter.
Quote:
That being said, I don't think what OFWGKTA or Tyler, the Creator are doing is honestly that new or fresh, it's just the new thing in the spotlight.
That being said? This sentence has nothing to do with anything...
Quote:
I like the music, but all of Tegan and Sara's arguments were legitimate IMHO.
It's not legitimate because it's targeted at odd future, even though plenty of "mainstream" hip hop artists have gotten away with real homophobia for decades and made plenty of money off it.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:04 PM   #410 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
midnight rain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
It amazes me that people like you still don't get it. I'm not even saying I agree with everything Teagan and Sara (and others) have to say, but to call them ticking time bobms or crazy or whatever is just retarded.

Like is it really that tough for you to understand? Why WOULDN'T a gay female be at least slightly offended by a up-and-coming rapper, whose audience is largely impressionable teens, rapping primarily about killings ***gots and raping women? I don't understand how people like you consider THEM crazy because they... put out a letter on their website stating their disapproval. Oh man! How insane of them!! They are gay women and they oppose anti-gay and rape lyrics!?!?! TIME BOMBS!!!

And do you actually think anyone takes it super serious, as in thinking Tyler actually rapes or kills anyone? Surely they don't, and I feel like almost everyone realizes it's a character rapping... I wish I could think of a lifestyle equivalent that would be equally offensive to a white male, but I'm not sure there is one. But Like I said before, even as a character and obviously false, the black community would be OUTRAGED if someone as popular as Tyler (but white) was making half his songs about "killing niggers".

-Sorry for coming off as harsh, I don't hate you dude but this has been building up in this thread awhile cause it makes no damn sense to me how teagan and Sara are looked at as idiots because they oppose anti-gay and pro-rape lyrics.
Wow lots of "you" statements in that post. You trying to guilt me into your viewpoint or something?

Also you obviously didnt get what I meant by ticking time bombs. I meant impressionable idiots who would listen to what Tyler was rapping about, believe in it, and act on it (i.e., killing ***gots and raping women). Had nothing to do with T&S

I dont agree with the double standard about how it's ok to rap about killing gays but not black people either.

Personally I wouldnt be offended if a rapper rapped about killing crackers. Maybe its because I don't consider my race a huge part of my identity? I mean, my whiteness doesn't dictate any part of my personality.

I don't know but I feel I could take the heat without getting offended, fully knowledgable that its a work of fiction. Obviously not everyone feels the same.
__________________
last.fm
midnight rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.