Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2006, 04:29 PM   #561 (permalink)
butt say x
 
mosesandtherubberducky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: so i read the question as "Where YOU live" which was kinda funny instead of "Where you live"
Posts: 1,649
Default

The Yanks do have Chet Atkins. I finally got some of his work and it is great.

But look on the bright side Brits, you don't have to put up with a billion love songs with a country accent over them (hyperbole)
__________________
Can I have a youtube video for a sig? There's a thing that says "Wrap [YOUTUBE] tags around selected text"
mosesandtherubberducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 03:46 AM   #562 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill
Avoiding the question?
No, a lot of brit bands were influenced by most of the early rock n roll artists...So instead of pointlessly listing them all its easier to say all the big name rock n roll musicians influenced the british invasion in some way.


HOWEVER...The british invasion bands took their rock n roll influence and made it way bigger, and many of them have had a longer lasting influence than the artists who influenced them.

For example, Carl Perkins and The Everly Brothers were big influences on The Beatles, Link Wray and Eddie Cochran was a big influence on The Who and Howlin Wolf and Robert Johnson were big influences on The Stones, but you would have to be out of your damn mind to think they match those bands in direct influence AND impact.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 05:11 PM   #563 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo
No, a lot of brit bands were influenced by most of the early rock n roll artists...So instead of pointlessly listing them all its easier to say all the big name rock n roll musicians influenced the british invasion in some way.


HOWEVER...The british invasion bands took their rock n roll influence and made it way bigger, and many of them have had a longer lasting influence than the artists who influenced them.

For example, Carl Perkins and The Everly Brothers were big influences on The Beatles, Link Wray and Eddie Cochran was a big influence on The Who and Howlin Wolf and Robert Johnson were big influences on The Stones, but you would have to be out of your damn mind to think they match those bands in direct influence AND impact.
Yet, you don't listen which country they're all from like you did with your little "well they were all influenced by UK bands" rant, which is lame as hell because if those UK bands we're influenced by american bands your logic is very contradictry.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 11:02 PM   #564 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill
Yet, you don't listen which country they're all from like you did with your little "well they were all influenced by UK bands" rant, which is lame as hell because if those UK bands we're influenced by american bands your logic is very contradictry.
Thats the difference between direct and indirect influence.

Indirect influence is when bands influence bands who influence other bands, but just because Chuck Berry influenced The Stones dosent mean everyone influenced by The Stones are influenced by Chuck Berry, or even like Chuck Berry.

Im talking mainly about direct influences, and what bands mean the most to the modern music community.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 01:07 AM   #565 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Crowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 699
Default

^ You are full of sh*t. I'm sorry, I've really tried to hold off saying anything about it. You just don't take the hint from the other members who try to tell you this. You use influence as a substitute for greatness when it benefits your side of the argument... however, if someone else does it you write them off. If you continue doing this, no one will respect your opinions anymore. You will lose all credibility.
__________________
Crowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 03:01 AM   #566 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowe
^ You are full of sh*t. I'm sorry, I've really tried to hold off saying anything about it. You just don't take the hint from the other members who try to tell you this. You use influence as a substitute for greatness when it benefits your side of the argument... however, if someone else does it you write them off. If you continue doing this, no one will respect your opinions anymore. You will lose all credibility.
Excuse me who the hell are you again?...Im losing credibility?...Arent you the guy who tried to give No Doubt credit for what the jamacians have been doing since the 60s?

You obviously dont know what im talking about, im not even saying bands like The Who and The Kinks are greater than Chuck Berry and Little Richard (god forbid me i would be wrong) but simply that their impact is more present today, and their direct influence on different musicians has been more consistant, plus they have had greater longativity musical quality wise...Im just saying that while rock n roll might have begun in this country, todays bands owe it more to the british invasion than the original rock n roll movement, and its pretty much been that way for 40 years.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 03:10 AM   #567 (permalink)
They call me Tundra Boy
 
DontRunMeOver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In your linen cupboard.
Posts: 1,166
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo
Thats the difference between direct and indirect influence.

Indirect influence is when bands influence bands who influence other bands, but just because Chuck Berry influenced The Stones means everyone influenced by The Stones are influence by Chuck Berry, or even like Chuck Berry.

Im talking mainly about direct influences, and what bands mean the most to the modern music community.
I've got to say, I can see what others mean by their arguments against you.

I'm just going to talk about the Beatles and Stones here, although I'm aware there are plenty of other bands. It doesn't really matter though, its a general point that maybe needs to be cleared up. If you disagree then lets have it!

The most valid point of the argument (and I suppose this will be taken as arguing for the American side here) is that although many contemporary American bands may cite the two Beatles and/or the Rolling Stones as their main influences, these bands and their styles were most influenced by American music. You can't say that these American musicians are indirect influences, because the Beatles and Rolling Stones are still incredibly popular and listened-to bands by non-musicians as well as musicians. Most people in the world would probably count their music itself as being more important than their influence on other bands. Thus, the musicians who influenced the Beatles/Stones music are still important as influences, because they influenced music which lots of people still listen to everyday.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katyppfan View Post
When Pete plays it is 100% live , your music if that's what you call it doesn't sound so good either? so you can't really critercize can you ?
DontRunMeOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 03:11 AM   #568 (permalink)
dog
this bird has flown
 
dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: paris,texas
Posts: 860
Default

beatles. led zeppelin. pink floyd. cream. beatles. kinks. hendrix experience was a british band, jimi started recording in britain. the who.
dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 03:24 AM   #569 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontRunMeOver
I've got to say, I can see what others mean by their arguments against you.

I'm just going to talk about the Beatles and Stones here, although I'm aware there are plenty of other bands. It doesn't really matter though, its a general point that maybe needs to be cleared up. If you disagree then lets have it!

The most valid point of the argument (and I suppose this will be taken as arguing for the American side here) is that although many contemporary American bands may cite the two Beatles and/or the Rolling Stones as their main influences, these bands and their styles were most influenced by American music. You can't say that these American musicians are indirect influences, because the Beatles and Rolling Stones are still incredibly popular and listened-to bands by non-musicians as well as musicians. Most people in the world would probably count their music itself as being more important than their influence on other bands. Thus, the musicians who influenced the Beatles/Stones music are still important as influences, because they influenced music which lots of people still listen to everyday.
And The Beatles and The Stones have done just that with their own influence, im basicly saying more people were inspired to start a band because of The Stones than there were people who were inspired to start a band because of Little Richard.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 03:25 AM   #570 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelinrulz
beatles. led zeppelin. pink floyd. cream. beatles. kinks. hendrix experience was a british band, jimi started recording in britain. the who.
Thats what i was trying to say but no one will listen.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.