Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2008, 11:46 AM   #121 (permalink)
sleepe
 
Double X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: boston
Posts: 1,140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Phoenix View Post
No, I actually DO NOT like Bob Dylan, and do not know what the big deal is about him? sorry, just don't get him.
He is one of the greatest lyricist of all time, plays a great guitar (and harmonica ), his attitude and vocal style. His musical style wouldn't make you want to get up and dance or air guitar like a retard, but it would reach you on a more deeper and soulful way. Get rid of the stupid norms of 'regular' singing and songwriting and immerse yourself in his music and try to feel what he is saying and it will touch you like few other musicians have.

(Kinda reminds me of Syd when I talk about this )
Double X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:31 PM   #122 (permalink)
The Stain Specialist
 
WeeLittleHobbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 312
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post

Couple things I have to say...

1) Welcome to the forums! If you want to introduce yourself more personally, you can go down to the 'Introductions' part of the forum (under The Lounge). We welcome all different tastes in music.

2) I think the offending misconception is that this is a list of overrated bands, not a list of bands that are bad. Bands like Fall Out Boy and Creed are not critically acclaimed by too many people (well, maybe pre-pubescent teenagers =P) and as such, don't really deserve a spot in an all-time "overrated" list.

3) I understand that these are your opinions (and far be it from me to offend you on your first post), but Queen, overrated?...come on! Brian May, one of the most gifted guitarists. Freddie Mercury, one of the most talented songwriters. Progressive icons in their own right, they were worshipped by millions prior to Mercury's untimely demise (and still are). Well, I suppose they are a tad bit overrated. But they were better than Aerosmith and Van Halen by a long shot. Technical wizardry is no guarantee of good music (more so Van Halen's case than Aerosmith), and in terms of songwriting ability, neither had it.

Thanks, Lucifer Sam. I'll be sure to do that. Oh, I see what you're saying on the whole FOB & Creed bit. Very good point. I'm assuming most professional music critics aren't fond of them? =D And I take no offense at all. Hell, music is one of the most subjective things in the universe. And I wasn't saying that they weren't talented musicians, I just grow tired of their style rather quickly. I can see where you're coming from when you say that Van Halen didn't have much going for them with songwriting, but I believe Aerosmith were quite talented songwriters.
__________________
Tommy: I'm funny how? Funny like a clown? I amuse you? I'm here to f*cking amuse you? What do you mean, funny? How am I funny?
Henry: You know, how you tell a story.
Tommy: I don't know. You said it. You said I'm funny. How am I funny?
WeeLittleHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:48 PM   #123 (permalink)
Occams Razor
 
Son of JayJamJah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: End of the Earth
Posts: 2,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double X View Post
He is one of the greatest lyricist of all time, plays a great guitar (and harmonica ), his attitude and vocal style. His musical style wouldn't make you want to get up and dance or air guitar like a retard, but it would reach you on a more deeper and soulful way. Get rid of the stupid norms of 'regular' singing and songwriting and immerse yourself in his music and try to feel what he is saying and it will touch you like few other musicians have.

(Kinda reminds me of Syd when I talk about this )
I love Bob Dylan, I enjoy the way he plays but Bob Dylan is not a great Guitar player, and not even a good harmonica player. He gets the job done, it all fits and there is no denying the lyrics or the power his music had on people.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Phoenix View Post
Well, lets see. A "legend" doesnt blow his brains out b/c he feels "misunderstood", and cannot accept how enormous he became? That doesn't make you a "legend", an "Idiot" maybe... but not a "legend". Besides, Ive heard all 4 of their albums. other than In Utero, the rest are ok, Lithium stunk, their box set? just a way for Courtney Love to whore out the band, so she can make $$$. Just my opinion.

Buddy Holly got killed in a plane wreck @ 27, and he's no more a "legend", than Kurt was/is.
The first thing you need to understand is that no one blows their brains out because they "feel misunderstood" that's like saying someone dies from sneezing. It's a symptom, Cobain was suffering from a disease and not being treated. He was an addict, his addiction caused severe depression, distortion of reality and ultimately his death. To chalk it up to merely a bad or cowardly decision shows a gross misunderstanding of his condition.

I tend to agree with your opinion on their musical catalog, I like In Utero is a very good album and Nevermind is above average, but I tend to think the circumstances of Cobain's death have elevated the band's status. Much like the status of Hendrix, Joplin, The Doors, Tu-Pac and others who meet unfortunate and untimely ends.

Second Buddy Holly was like 20 when he died, maybe a bit older but nowhere near 27.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeLittleHobbit View Post
I believe Aerosmith were quite talented songwriters.
I would say Aerosmith are clever songwriters and talented sure, but I don't know that they wrote too many great songs. A lot of music I like but tire of quickly. What would you say to that?
Son of JayJamJah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:56 PM   #124 (permalink)
The Stain Specialist
 
WeeLittleHobbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 312
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJamJah View Post
I would say Aerosmith are clever songwriters and talented sure, but I don't know that they wrote too many great songs. A lot of music I like but tire of quickly. What would you say to that?
I would say that we have reached a barrier that cannot really be torn down. I would say that Aerosmith were quite prolific in their songwriting skills, ranging from songs like Dream On to Love In An Elevator, but in the end it's all a matter of opinion.... Hello, by the way! =D
__________________
Tommy: I'm funny how? Funny like a clown? I amuse you? I'm here to f*cking amuse you? What do you mean, funny? How am I funny?
Henry: You know, how you tell a story.
Tommy: I don't know. You said it. You said I'm funny. How am I funny?
WeeLittleHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:06 PM   #125 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,447
Default

I'd take Aerosmiths first 5 albums over any of Queen's shite
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:09 PM   #126 (permalink)
The Stain Specialist
 
WeeLittleHobbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 312
Default

To be quite honest, Freddy Mercury's voice annoys me after a while....
__________________
Tommy: I'm funny how? Funny like a clown? I amuse you? I'm here to f*cking amuse you? What do you mean, funny? How am I funny?
Henry: You know, how you tell a story.
Tommy: I don't know. You said it. You said I'm funny. How am I funny?
WeeLittleHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:23 PM   #127 (permalink)
Back to mono
 
WaspStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 509
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJamJah View Post
I love Bob Dylan, I enjoy the way he plays but Bob Dylan is not a great Guitar player, and not even a good harmonica player. He gets the job done, it all fits and there is no denying the lyrics or the power his music had on people.


Have you heard this album? I think his guitar playing on is great (then again, I think Dylan is the greatest vocalist ever, so there you go. I consider a great vocalist to be someone whose singing is emotional, not "technically" good).

I don't know about the harp either; on Live 66, it's pretty transcendant. I can't imagine You're A Big Girl Now or Tangled Up In Blue without the harp solos at the end. Most of the songs on Blonde On Blonde open up with Dylan's harmonica playing; after Kenny Buttrey's drums (and maybe Kooper's organ), it's probably the most important instrument on the album.
__________________
"This sure doesn't look like 'Crazy Ernie's Amazing Emporium of Total Bargain Madness!'"
WaspStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:55 PM   #128 (permalink)
sleepe
 
Double X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: boston
Posts: 1,140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeLittleHobbit View Post
I would say that we have reached a barrier that cannot really be torn down. I would say that Aerosmith were quite prolific in their songwriting skills, ranging from songs like Dream On to Love In An Elevator, but in the end it's all a matter of opinion.... Hello, by the way! =D
In my area (close to Boston) Aerosmith is treated like a god. I personally cannot stand them though (somewhat of a backlash type of thing). Tyler's vocals really get to me and are really annoying, the guitars are unoriginal and dull to me. I really dislike most of their songs, but 'Walk This Way', 'Love in An Elevator', 'Hangman Jury', 'Same Old Song And Dance' are all superb. No matter how much people tell me, I simply cannot like Dream On. I think Tyler's voice is overrated, but their songwriting is really underrated.

EDIT:
Quote:
Have you heard this album? I think his guitar playing on is great (then again, I think Dylan is the greatest vocalist ever, so there you go. I consider a great vocalist to be someone whose singing is emotional, not "technically" good).
Maybe not the best vocalist, but he is amazing. Singers don't need to be technically good, Joe Strummer and George Harrison were great singers.

Last edited by Double X; 07-17-2008 at 08:06 PM.
Double X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:18 PM   #129 (permalink)
The Stain Specialist
 
WeeLittleHobbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 312
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double X View Post
In my area (close to Boston) Aerosmith is treated like a god. I personally cannot stand them though (somewhat of a backlash type of thing). Tyler's vocals really get to me and are really annoying, the guitars are unoriginal and dull to me. I really dislike most of their songs, but 'Walk This Way', 'Love in An Elevator', 'Hangman Jury', 'Same Old Song And Dance' are all superb. No matter how much people tell me, I simply cannot like Dream On. I think Tyler's voice is overrated, but their songwriting is really underrated.
I think I can relate to what you're saying about the whole "Aerosmith is a god" thing. My friend has been obsessed with Queen ever since like 7th grade and he always talked about them. He even burned me 2 CDs of alot of their album cuts. I guess after awhile I just got sick of hearing them or something. And don't get me wrong, there are quite a few of their songs I enjoy, such as "Bohemian Rhapsody," "Killer Queen," "Under Pressure," and "We Will Rock You." I even have a t-shirt of them. But I fail to see what's so special about "We Are The Champions," for instance. Everyone loves that song and it practically bores me to tears.
__________________
Tommy: I'm funny how? Funny like a clown? I amuse you? I'm here to f*cking amuse you? What do you mean, funny? How am I funny?
Henry: You know, how you tell a story.
Tommy: I don't know. You said it. You said I'm funny. How am I funny?
WeeLittleHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:56 AM   #130 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
I'd take Aerosmiths first 5 albums over any of Queen's shite
Speak for yourself. I'll take one of the most original and talented bands ever over some overhyped third rate c*ck rock band of below average musical talent any day of the week.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.