Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Does John Peel deserve to make the Hall of Fame?
Yes 11 91.67%
No 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2008, 11:10 AM   #141 (permalink)
you know what it is
 
simplephysics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuzuka Skysword View Post
If artists like Elliott Smith get in, then the hall of fame will just become "Artists that some people on MB like"
Am I missing the point of this, then?
__________________
one font under god
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre View Post
I could be cute if I wanted to be, I just choose not to because you wouldn't be able to handle yourself.
simplephysics is offline  
Old 08-01-2008, 11:33 AM   #142 (permalink)
Moodswings n' Roundabouts
 
Piss Me Off's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: At the corner of Dude and Catastrophe
Posts: 4,510
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double X View Post
Has enough time passed? I think Smith is safe to get in
Naa it's still pretty close i'd say.

About the raising the entrance percentage above 50%, i'll probably sort this problem out in the induction threads, maybe if there's 5 artists being voted on they have to get over 20% or something. I'll have to chat with JJJ about it...
__________________


Last FM
Rate Yr Music
Muxtape
Piss Me Off is offline  
Old 08-01-2008, 12:22 PM   #143 (permalink)
n/a
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuzuka Skysword View Post
If artists like Elliott Smith get in, then the hall of fame will just become "Artists that some people on MB like" and we will have like 500 artists in there.
That isn't the case at all, if 'some people' liked the nominated artist at hand obviously the majority would outvote and thus be rejected. I don't even see your point, the thread is for artists people on MB like and regard in high esteem. If nobody feels that way about any artist which has been nominated the artist wouldn't get in, your jibe is nonsensical and it's been counter argued a page or so back; and what does artists like elliott smith even refer to? Anything slightly obscure with talent... sardonic to say the least.
pheurton is offline  
Old 08-01-2008, 03:33 PM   #144 (permalink)
Occams Razor
 
Son of JayJamJah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: End of the Earth
Posts: 2,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piss Me Off View Post
Naa it's still pretty close i'd say.

About the raising the entrance percentage above 50%, i'll probably sort this problem out in the induction threads, maybe if there's 5 artists being voted on they have to get over 20% or something. I'll have to chat with JJJ about it...
My original plan (and the one I still like) calls for a 2\3rds vote from the panel members to get in.

My proposal, and this is or at least should be subject to discussion, was to have members with 1 year experience and 1,000 posts eligible to vote. (I've since thought maybe 1,500 or 2,000 posts or two years)

I think votes should be public, made in the form of a post and cite reasons why or why not. Also those voting should be extra careful to consider their own feelings along with those of the MB community when voting.

For example if a band was nominated by a vote of something like 25-2 it would be unfair for anyone to vote that band down come the induction threads without making a very strong case.

No one is ever required to vote and you can vote yes or no on as many bands as you like.

A induction post could look like this.

Band A: Yes, because.....

Band B: No, because

Band C: Neutral

Band D: Yes, because

etc.

These are my thoughts on the issue. Double X makes a good point and that's my solution.
__________________
Me, Myself and I United as One

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard adolescent View Post
i prefer foreplay. the orgasm is overrated.
If you're posting in the music forums make sure to be thoughtful and expressive, if you're posting in the lounge ask yourself "is this something that adds to the conversation?" It's important to remember that a lot of people use each thread. You're probably not as funny or clever as you think, I know I'm not.

My Van Morrison Discography Thread
Son of JayJamJah is offline  
Old 08-01-2008, 04:02 PM   #145 (permalink)
____
 
FaSho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 5,273
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJamJah View Post
(I've since thought maybe 1,500 or 2,000 posts or two years)

if you did that you wouldne getting the whole MB community just a scarce few

its the music banter hall of fame not the a few people who have been on mb for awhile hall of fame
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
What? No. No. No. No no no.
FaSho is offline  
Old 08-01-2008, 04:07 PM   #146 (permalink)
Moodswings n' Roundabouts
 
Piss Me Off's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: At the corner of Dude and Catastrophe
Posts: 4,510
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJamJah View Post
My original plan (and the one I still like) calls for a 2\3rds vote from the panel members to get in.

My proposal, and this is or at least should be subject to discussion, was to have members with 1 year experience and 1,000 posts eligible to vote. (I've since thought maybe 1,500 or 2,000 posts or two years)

I think votes should be public, made in the form of a post and cite reasons why or why not. Also those voting should be extra careful to consider their own feelings along with those of the MB community when voting.

For example if a band was nominated by a vote of something like 25-2 it would be unfair for anyone to vote that band down come the induction threads without making a very strong case.

No one is ever required to vote and you can vote yes or no on as many bands as you like.

A induction post could look like this.

Band A: Yes, because.....

Band B: No, because

Band C: Neutral

Band D: Yes, because

etc.

These are my thoughts on the issue. Double X makes a good point and that's my solution.
So would the voting be without an actual poll then? Have each band go up each week to be debated on?

I still think the 1000 post thing is still too strict, i'd probably take it down to 500 posts as there's posters who can put up a good argument but obviously we should probably keep it to the more experienced lot.

Apart from that i'm cool with that, anyone else feel free to chirp in...
__________________


Last FM
Rate Yr Music
Muxtape
Piss Me Off is offline  
Old 08-01-2008, 04:10 PM   #147 (permalink)
I love Puck
 
Laces Out Dan!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 4,614
Default

I think the only people that can vote have to have been members since at least September 05..
__________________
We are entirely smooth, We admit to the truth, We are the best at what we do.
Laces Out Dan! is offline  
Old 08-01-2008, 04:23 PM   #148 (permalink)
Occams Razor
 
Son of JayJamJah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: End of the Earth
Posts: 2,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGettinThatFaSho View Post
if you did that you wouldne getting the whole MB community just a scarce few

its the music banter hall of fame not the a few people who have been on mb for awhile hall of fame
Fair point, but I disagree. First of all everyone\anyone is welcome to vote in the nomination thread. if a band does not get through that round then they have no chance anyway. Secondly it is the Music banter hall of fame and that's why I think people who understand the community and it's tastes are best suited to select the bands to represent it.

No offense at all, but I don't think someone like you should get a vote yet because who knows if you'll even still be posting come November.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Piss Me Off View Post
So would the voting be without an actual poll then? Have each band go up each week to be debated on?

I still think the 1000 post thing is still too strict, i'd probably take it down to 500 posts as there's posters who can put up a good argument but obviously we should probably keep it to the more experienced lot
To first answer your question, yes a poll less thread, second no all the bands up for voting at once. So far Zeppelin, JD and likely Elliott Smith make three. Once we get enough (I thought you suggested 5-6) then start an induction thread and give it 7-10 days for people to make a case to whomever is on the panel.

Like i said, I am malleable on the 1,000 post thing, I just want to be sure the people deciding who represent the site are the people who understand the community. I would have quickly shot JD or Elliott Smith down in my first few months on the site, that's the main reason for my suggestion.

Let's here from everyone though, we got a few weeks to work out the bugs.
__________________
Me, Myself and I United as One

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard adolescent View Post
i prefer foreplay. the orgasm is overrated.
If you're posting in the music forums make sure to be thoughtful and expressive, if you're posting in the lounge ask yourself "is this something that adds to the conversation?" It's important to remember that a lot of people use each thread. You're probably not as funny or clever as you think, I know I'm not.

My Van Morrison Discography Thread
Son of JayJamJah is offline  
Old 08-01-2008, 04:26 PM   #149 (permalink)
Existential Egoist
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,468
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheurton View Post
That isn't the case at all, if 'some people' liked the nominated artist at hand obviously the majority would outvote and thus be rejected. I don't even see your point, the thread is for artists people on MB like and regard in high esteem. If nobody feels that way about any artist which has been nominated the artist wouldn't get in, your jibe is nonsensical and it's been counter argued a page or so back; and what does artists like elliott smith even refer to? Anything slightly obscure with talent... sardonic to say the least.
Lots of people on this site listen to and like tons of artists. If MB is as open-minded as I believe it to be, almost every "somewhat good" artist will get in and it would be retarded. I prefer Jay's approach where it takes 2/3 of the voters to vote yes in order for an artist to be nominated. Personally, I do not believe there should be a limit to how long you have been on this site. That would be illogical.
Inuzuka Skysword is offline  
Old 08-01-2008, 04:48 PM   #150 (permalink)
Occams Razor
 
Son of JayJamJah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: End of the Earth
Posts: 2,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuzuka Skysword View Post
Personally, I do not believe there should be a limit to how long you have been on this site. That would be illogical.
You don't agree with my logic in above post? Even if you disagree with the principal do you see where I am coming from?
__________________
Me, Myself and I United as One

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard adolescent View Post
i prefer foreplay. the orgasm is overrated.
If you're posting in the music forums make sure to be thoughtful and expressive, if you're posting in the lounge ask yourself "is this something that adds to the conversation?" It's important to remember that a lot of people use each thread. You're probably not as funny or clever as you think, I know I'm not.

My Van Morrison Discography Thread
Son of JayJamJah is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.