Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2006, 02:18 AM   #1191 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Crowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 699
Default

I don't think we are ashamed of being American... like someone said, I think citizens here just have some sort of identity problem. We don't have a lengthy history like other nations. We can look back to the middle of 1600's when people first started coming over here, but that's it.

However, you cannot exclude us from your various histories. Every single American has an ancestor from another country. While I might not have been born in Scotland. I still have ancestors who fought in the Battle of Stirling Bridge with William Wallace. I am descendant of Danish royalty. We take great pride in these things much like you do.

To hit home with the English- my best friend is a direct descendant of Richard the Lionheart. That's something to be proud of, in my opinion.

America is a melting pot of different races and cultures and origins... our identity is: the fact that we are made up of the rest of the world. Our origins mean something to us, because our family members who came here - brought their identities with them. While we may not have grown up in the culture, it isn't fair to deny us of our history. I know that many people have such a jaded view of americans because of our silly tourists, media, etc etc. So I think that may be a factor in trying to put down our attempts to identify ourselves with your home countries.

I work with several Englishman, as well as other foreigners at an international ymca camp in the summer. And they are suprised at the way americans act. They tell us they come here expecting us all to be outrageous loud, and rude, and just... uncouth. That sort of startles me, as an american, to know that we are so looked down upon! The average american citizen doesn't think bad about Englishman, or the French, Irish, Germans etc etc... but from what I understand from my colleagues - it seems that foreign children are taught at once that americans = bad. I don't know. Seems a little nuts to me.

We also don't think that we are better than any other nation. I can safely say, too, that I know more americans than those members overseas - so while you may have run into a couple of bad apples.... well that sucks. Every country has bad apples though. I also wish that we could be in closer contact. We are, however, across the pond. I hear alot, too, that we don't know a lot of languages - like we don't have to take french and german in high school if we don't want to. So it seems like we don't care about stuff outside of America. What Europeans, especially, don't understand about this is- you can drive an hour or 2 in some European countries and be in another country. A country that is full of a rich history! If WE drive an hour in our own nation, we don't even make it half way across our respective states most of the time. We don't learn these languages because most americans will probably never meet a German person, let alone have to speak their language to get by. A lot of us can't afford to be visiting other countries all the time either. Do you get what I mean? Or am I rambling?
__________________
Crowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 09:26 AM   #1192 (permalink)
D:
 
ladyluckrules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: England
Posts: 507
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma Cherie
if your aiming it to me yes, i've been to germany, and in fact i'll probally be filling the F*cking duel-citizenship papers in a couple of months... if they send them to me, frankly yes i have grown up in a very GERMAN household with STONG german values..... not by my choice either.....
You really piss me off :\
__________________

AHOY SAILOR
ladyluckrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 12:21 PM   #1193 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowe
The average american citizen doesn't think bad about Englishman, or the French, Irish, Germans etc etc... but from what I understand from my colleagues - it seems that foreign children are taught at once that americans = bad. I don't know. Seems a little nuts to me.
I don`t think thats true as such , maybe in some middle eastern muslim countries but not in Europe.

I think what it stems from is more the way American culture is taking over everything.I`ve seen nice French bistros here turned into fast food chain outlets , I`ve seen old pubs steeped with tradition turned into horrible theme pubs. I find it hard to see now British indie movies because the cinemas are full of the latest crap from Hollywood , usually some sh*tty sequal.

I think thats where the resentment comes from.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 12:33 PM   #1194 (permalink)
The Forums Sadistic Ghost
 
Ma Cherie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: beyond midnight, in the abyss of time, the syren in the night
Posts: 457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontRunMeOver
Not really sure what to say to that. Its not really a response to my post, but it is interesting to know. Would you say you actually look at all Native American? Can people tell when they first meet you, or do they only know because you told them first?
i look alot when tanned, and i tann very easily, io have the singnature cheek bones and chin...
__________________
I'm not a freak on a leash, I'm just the freak holding the leash.

http://www.myspace.com/yukiko_mori

Ma Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 01:04 PM   #1195 (permalink)
They call me Tundra Boy
 
DontRunMeOver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In your linen cupboard.
Posts: 1,166
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger
I don`t think thats true as such , maybe in some middle eastern muslim countries but not in Europe.

I think what it stems from is more the way American culture is taking over everything.I`ve seen nice French bistros here turned into fast food chain outlets , I`ve seen old pubs steeped with tradition turned into horrible theme pubs. I find it hard to see now British indie movies because the cinemas are full of the latest crap from Hollywood , usually some sh*tty sequal.

I think thats where the resentment comes from.
That's certainly part of it. The majority of the globalisation/corporatisation that we see in Europe (and most other parts of the world I've been to) stems from America. The power of American companies and media - and the power of the American government coupled with its use of the power internationally - really does cause a lot of resentment in other countries.

To be honest, the resentment is largely justified when its directed against American companies, media and government... in terms of how these organisations relate to other countries. Unfortunately, many people's opinions of the american people is tainted by their perception of those large organisations which come from America.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katyppfan View Post
When Pete plays it is 100% live , your music if that's what you call it doesn't sound so good either? so you can't really critercize can you ?
DontRunMeOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 01:04 PM   #1196 (permalink)
The Forums Sadistic Ghost
 
Ma Cherie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: beyond midnight, in the abyss of time, the syren in the night
Posts: 457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill
You should probaly specify what "strong german values" are.
ummm let see, eating all my food even if it means sitting at the table for 4 hours with something i don't like to eat, hmm getting straight A&Bs on the honor role or get my ass kicked... other things such as that...learning to cook... drinking at 15....
__________________
I'm not a freak on a leash, I'm just the freak holding the leash.

http://www.myspace.com/yukiko_mori

Ma Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 01:50 PM   #1197 (permalink)
D:
 
ladyluckrules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: England
Posts: 507
Default

Whaaat, I lived with a german family for a week, the kids left their food.
I'd say the smoking would be something, they even had an area in the school for the kids to smoke.
__________________

AHOY SAILOR
ladyluckrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 01:56 PM   #1198 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,447
Default

Maybe they didn`t have any values
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 01:57 PM   #1199 (permalink)
D:
 
ladyluckrules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: England
Posts: 507
Default

That would explain everything.
__________________

AHOY SAILOR
ladyluckrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 02:31 PM   #1200 (permalink)
They call me Tundra Boy
 
DontRunMeOver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In your linen cupboard.
Posts: 1,166
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma Cherie
ummm let see, eating all my food even if it means sitting at the table for 4 hours with something i don't like to eat, hmm getting straight A&Bs on the honor role or get my ass kicked... other things such as that...learning to cook... drinking at 15....
You know, sometimes people (parents included) use their 'culture' as an excuse for carrying out strange modes of behaviour... Did you really have to sit at the table for 4 hours? That's not German. That's plain weird.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katyppfan View Post
When Pete plays it is 100% live , your music if that's what you call it doesn't sound so good either? so you can't really critercize can you ?
DontRunMeOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.