Music Banter

Music Banter (https://www.musicbanter.com/)
-   Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion (https://www.musicbanter.com/current-events-philosophy-religion/)
-   -   What Did President Trump Do Now? (https://www.musicbanter.com/current-events-philosophy-religion/87986-what-did-president-trump-do-now.html)

Trollheart 02-05-2017 08:25 PM

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/3871120/th...RUMP-900.jpg?7

elphenor 02-05-2017 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre (Post 1803162)
I don't know, I didn't think Trump would pull us out of TPP for the same reasons, but he did. I was shocked. Trump loves buying foreign made goods for his business.

Not shocked by that at all it's an act of Nationalism the fact that it might accidentally be good for American workers doesn't make it surprising

elphenor 02-05-2017 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anteater (Post 1803170)
Sorry Nostradamus, but everything is assumption until X actually happens and you can observe factors in real time

If only this sort of thing thing happened before so that we could observe the results...

Lucem Ferre 02-05-2017 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elphenor (Post 1803192)
Not shocked by that at all it's an act of Nationalism the fact that it might accidentally be good for American workers doesn't make it surprising

The intended reason is the same reason anybody opposed TPP, according to what he had to say in the debates. I just didn't think he'd go through with it because it implied he gave a **** about anything other than himself and his business. I'm still not fully convinced he won't use his position to corrupt politics in favor of larger businesses but it's a step in the right direction.

Though, I have been reading some shady **** about them trying to get rid of a few areas of government dedicated to investigating corruption.

And I heard he wants to reverse the gay marriage laws. Don't know if it's really true or not because people take the slightest inkling of anything that could imply that and run with it.

And I think the Muslim ban is both dumb and extremely cowardly.

And I think him signing that deal to build that pipeline is absolutely the horrible corrupt decision making I was expecting. It will create a few temporary jobs that will vanish quickly and is moving in the opposite direction the we need to go in order to start preventing catastrophic climate change.

And I absolutely think him putting a hiring freeze on government jobs is completely detrimental to actually creating jobs and is really him trying to push jobs towards different companies that will probably pay you less, give you less benefits, follow less safety regulations and work you harder.

But I could be wrong again, we have to wait and see. I mean there's not much else we can do except wait, see, complain and I guess start voting Democrat on a local level. Perhaps now Democrats will stop being little pussies and realize that the time of playing fair with Republicans is over if they want to get anything actually done.

elphenor 02-05-2017 10:52 PM

It's for the same reason as the Muslim ban

It's right wing populism ie: Xenophobia and extreme Nationalism

Isolation policy is an arm of this

pull out of TPP because the "other" in this case the Chinese are what's hurting America

The blame isn't put on the corporate body that Trump is apart of that moved the jobs to places where they could exploit the hardest, it's on anyone who isn't white

elphenor 02-05-2017 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre (Post 1803200)
Perhaps now Democrats will stop being little pussies and realize that the time of playing fair with Republicans is over if they want to get anything actually done.

The time of them trying to play the same sell-out game as the Republicans is what ought to be over, it's like giving the right wing home field advantage

Don't run another candidate that takes money from Wall Street plain and simple

djchameleon 02-06-2017 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chula Vista (Post 1803128)

And I heard he wants to reverse the gay marriage laws. Don't know if it's really true or not because people take the slightest inkling of anything that could imply that and run with it.

I was just reading an article about this. They made it seem like it was Trump's idea but he would have probably tried to reverse them with an executive order if it wasn't for Ivanka and her husband.

Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner Helped Thwart L.G.B.T. Rights Rollback

that's weird I quoted Lucem and it showed up as Chula. Whatever.

Lucem Ferre 02-06-2017 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elphenor (Post 1803204)
The time of them trying to play the same sell-out game as the Republicans is what ought to be over, it's like giving the right wing home field advantage

Don't run another candidate that takes money from Wall Street plain and simple

That's not what I meant, I meant as in how Obama bent over backwards trying to make the Republicans happy even though he had a Democrat majority in house. He should have just done what they hell he wanted. The same way Republicans always do. With out giving a damn.

Cuthbert 02-06-2017 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trollheart (Post 1803185)

Muslimham :D

It's actually Birming now. We removed the 'ham' as it's not halal.

Someone should ask President Daddy for his views on De Emerald Isle.

Lucem Ferre 02-06-2017 01:49 AM

I really don't think enough people appreciate Obama, looking back. We can sit here and pretend America has become a ruined waste land of poverty as we luxuriously sit back at our computers and yell at each other over simple misunderstandings and light opinion differences, but I mean, we could have been jobless and starving if Obama really did **** up. That's the path we were heading down. He prevented that and slowly turned it back on the right path. We are still one of the richest countries in the world. Cherish that. Because Trump might ruin it.

Neapolitan 02-06-2017 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre (Post 1803213)
That's not what I meant, I meant as in how Obama bent over backwards trying to make the Republicans happy even though he had a Democrat majority in house. He should have just done what they hell he wanted. The same way Republicans always do. With out giving a damn.

You think he didn't? :laughing:

Quote:

Obama has issued 195 executive orders as of Tuesday. Published alongside them in the Federal Register are 198 presidential memoranda — all of which carry the same legal force as executive orders. He's already signed 33% more presidential memoranda in less than six years than Bush did in eight.
Obama issues 'executive orders by another name'

Study: Obama Has Issued More Restrictive Executive Orders Than Past SIX Administrations » Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

Janszoon 02-06-2017 06:59 AM

Did you seriously just quote Infowars? I'd say that means you just lost the debate by default.

djchameleon 02-06-2017 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neapolitan (Post 1803222)
You think he didn't? :laughing:

You know why he had to do those Orders? He was too busy trying to be Bi-partisan during the first two years and when that didn't work. They forced his hand to do those orders to get certain things done.

Ol’ Qwerty Bastard 02-06-2017 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janszoon (Post 1803223)
Did you seriously just quote Infowars? I'd say that means you just lost the debate by default.

Alex Jones gets all his information from VERY reputable sources...

in the new Joe Rogan podcast he talks about the psychic vampires and the interdimensional communication from the Elite to drain the energy from our youth

... no seriously.

Lisnaholic 02-06-2017 07:55 AM

At one simplistic level, good governing is like good parenting. Like the law about wearing a crash helmet on a motorbike; a sunny day on an empty road and you may not want to do it, but you know it makes sense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre (Post 1803200)
And I think him signing that deal to build that pipeline is absolutely the horrible corrupt decision making I was expecting. It will create a few temporary jobs that will vanish quickly and is moving in the opposite direction the we need to go in order to start preventing catastrophic climate change.

^ At last someone has mentioned this clear-cut example of terrible parenting."Let's forget about long-term irreversible harm to the environment of the whole planet. Let's sacrifice that for the short term benefit of the USA."
That's an approach typically taken by commercial companies clamouring for profits, which is why they should be regulated by a government that sees a bigger picture. Unfortunately, Trump is parenting on the Homer Simpson model, "Sure Bart, eat all the candy you want and no need to brush your teeth afterwards. Dental decay is just a scam cooked up by scientists, like global warming."

I think pro-fossil Trump with his scorn for alternative fuels is going to be more damaging, long-term, than his clumsy meddling with the immigration rules.

Psy-Fi 02-06-2017 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls (Post 1802973)
Food for thought...


I didn't get the Batman reference at first. Then I found this...


Goofle 02-06-2017 10:13 AM

Batman created so many YouTubers that day.

DwnWthVwls 02-06-2017 10:26 AM

Why exactly is Sam Harris such a pos? I haven't seen much from him, but he seems pretty reasonable from what I have.

Psy-Fi 02-06-2017 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls (Post 1803252)
Why exactly is Sam Harris such a pos? I haven't seen much from him, but he seems pretty reasonable from what I have.

Those two Bill Maher clips are the only videos I've seen from him. Can't say I disagree with anything he said in either one.

djchameleon 02-06-2017 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls (Post 1803252)
Why exactly is Sam Harris such a pos? I haven't seen much from him, but he seems pretty reasonable from what I have.

He wouldn't bother you if you agree with his views on Islams and Muslims in general.

Whenever him and Bill get together they always get under my skin with inaccurate **** that they say. The worse part is like it's not like they don't talk to Muslims where they can find out accurate information it's just that they like to stay willfully ignorant about certain things.

Here's a specific example, when the topic of the Burqa came up. Their minds are only wrapped around women being forced to wear them and not the fact that the women willingly want to wear them.

Also when they decided to bring up the fact that radical Muslims aren't fringe just because it is such a large number. They are still fringe in comparison to the billion of Muslims around the way. So what if they have a fringe army. When you have billions of people practicing one religion a fringe group of radicals can be larger.

The Batlord 02-06-2017 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djchameleon (Post 1803268)
Here's a specific example, when the topic of the Burqa came up. Their minds are only wrapped around women being forced to wear them and not the fact that the women willingly want to wear them.

Translation: all white women have internalized misogyny, but all brown women don't.

Ol’ Qwerty Bastard 02-06-2017 01:54 PM

DJ i think you're the one being ignorant on the topic... the point is that no culture or belief system should force an individual to act or dress a certain way because of their sex. it's not about whether they want to, it's about them being forced to.

Exo 02-06-2017 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qwertyy (Post 1803279)
DJ i think you're the one being ignorant on the topic... the point is that no culture or belief system should force an individual to act or dress a certain way because of their sex. it's not about whether they want to, it's about them being forced to.

Sure. But if they want to wear it, let them wear it. Forcing them not to wear it is the same thing as forcing them to wear it. You can't change some people. The work should go towards changing the law not changing the people. The women who get attacked for wearing their burqa or hijab are victims of a hate crime no matter how the assh*le attacking them feels about the laws. Violence is violence. It solves nothing.

Ol’ Qwerty Bastard 02-06-2017 02:18 PM

i never said otherwise.

Exo 02-06-2017 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qwertyy (Post 1803291)
i never said otherwise.

I honestly wasn't sure.

Ol’ Qwerty Bastard 02-06-2017 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exo (Post 1803294)
I honestly wasn't sure.

i dont think DJ was necessarily saying they shouldnt have a say either. just a tough issue all around because obviously there's no good in going from one extreme to the other.

Exo 02-06-2017 02:49 PM

Donald Trump Is Signing Executive Orders That He Doesn't Read or Understand | GQ

Quote:

"For the moment, Mr. Bannon remains the president’s dominant adviser, despite Mr. Trump’s anger that he was not fully briefed on details of the executive order he signed giving his chief strategist a seat on the National Security Council, a greater source of frustration to the president than the fallout from the travel ban."

So there are only two options here. Donald Trump either read this Executive Order and did not understand what placing Steve Bannon on the National Security Council (especially at the expense of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs and the Director of National Intelligence) would mean, which is terrifying... OR Donald Trump didn't read the ****ing Executive Order that he signed. Some people would say we should give Trump the benefit of the doubt and assume he just didn't understand and wasn't properly briefed (WHICH AGAIN, IS HORRIFYING IN AND OF ITSELF), but then you get to this chestnut from the Times piece:

"For a man who sometimes has trouble concentrating on policy memos, Mr. Trump was delighted to page through a book that offered him 17 window covering options."

And then you remember this little nugget from Politico a couple weeks back:

"One person who frequently talks to Trump said aides have to push back privately against his worst impulses in the White House... and have to control information that may infuriate him. He gets bored and likes to watch TV."
I uhhhhhhhhh. I know this isn't a hard news article but wow.

Key 02-06-2017 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exo (Post 1803299)
I don't this isn't a hard news article but wow.

Yeah.

Exo 02-06-2017 02:55 PM

Not sure how that happened.

The Batlord 02-06-2017 02:58 PM

OMG four more years of this and I'll have forgotten what it feels like for the gaping maw within my soul to have consumed my ability to laugh.

Anteater 02-06-2017 03:01 PM

The Politico article cited in that Jack Moore article would be so much better if they didn't mix unsubstantiated silliness in by making up a "person" who they talked to about what Trump does in the White House. It's obvious they didn't talk to anyone and created "a person close to Trump" to insert their own narrative. Trump's administration has a lot of real problems, so why not talk to real people who you can quote by name?

The Batlord 02-06-2017 03:02 PM

What the **** is your sig, bitch? I will not be misquoted without monetary compensation!

Anteater 02-06-2017 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Batlord (Post 1803305)
What the **** is your sig, bitch? I will not be misquoted without monetary compensation!

You said it in a parallel universe where Gary Johnson won the presidency. :)

DwnWthVwls 02-06-2017 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exo (Post 1803287)
Sure. But if they want to wear it, let them wear it. Forcing them not to wear it is the same thing as forcing them to wear it. You can't change some people. The work should go towards changing the law not changing the people. The women who get attacked for wearing their burqa or hijab are victims of a hate crime no matter how the assh*le attacking them feels about the laws. Violence is violence. It solves nothing.

If you watched the video i posted its briefly covered from 6-8minute mark and Sam Harris doesnt seem to disagree. Bill Maher says its not normal and comes off kinda douchey, but neither say they should be forced to dressed "normally".

Im not gonna go off on a tyrade about it but any system/religion/ideaology that tells you what to think instead of teaching you how to think is the enemy of progression and worth criticizing. (Im sure im paraphrasing Dawkins with this but i cant give you a direct quote).

elphenor 02-06-2017 03:16 PM

When I was 14 I was all about dat Dawkins

The Batlord 02-06-2017 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elphenor (Post 1803309)
When I was 14 I was all about dat Dawkins

He is pretty dreamy.

elphenor 02-06-2017 03:20 PM

In one of his books he flat out says religious people's brains have some form of a deformity that makes them that way lol

It wasn't a diss he genuinely believes it

New Atheism is just perfect for the smug enlightened 15 year olds of the world

The Batlord 02-06-2017 03:24 PM

I read a Sam Harris book back in the day, but that's pretty much the extent of my Serious Atheist Research. I like arguing that **** on occasion, but **** me I don't understand why so many atheists care so much about this ****. God doesn't exist, fantastic, stupendous, moving on.

DwnWthVwls 02-06-2017 03:34 PM

I really don't care about personas in a logical discussion. The point seems logical to me, I'd love to hear a persuasive contradictory position.

Pet_Sounds 02-06-2017 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls (Post 1803307)
Im not gonna go off on a tyrade about it but any system/religion/ideaology that tells you what to think instead of teaching you how to think is the enemy of progression and worth criticizing.

However, it's important to remember that there is a fine line between the two and that the former can be disguised as the latter.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:16 PM.


© 2003-2023 Advameg, Inc.