Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2006, 12:26 PM   #471 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontRunMeOver
I'd say that the Brits do rave, trance, drum'n'bass, bangra, house, techno, electronic pop, girlband pop etc. better than the Americans do. I'm not even sure that I've HEARD of American bands which play these styles!

Putting Country into the list is pretty ridiculous. There is no reason or use for much country music in Britain, where would you play it? There are no ranches in Britain! No cowboys, no cowgirls and no wide, lonely plains. I could put Northern Soul, Britpop and Pub Rock into a list and say 'the Brits do it better than you'. Its true, we do, but those musical styles are probably as unimportant to Americans as country music is to Brits, so it holds no weight in an argument.

I would agree with rap, hip-hop and funk (probably jazz too) as those are styles which Brits would like to be good at, but mostly aren't. With ska and emo, maybe its more of a publicity or awareness thing, most of the better bands I've heard in these genres have been British.

And heavy metal? Come off it, there are loads of great heavy metals bands in Birmingham alone and, again, most of the best bands I've heard have been British. Metal seems to be more of a tribal thing, so its maybe not surprising that Americans would not be so aware of the British metal and vice versa.
Heavy Metal was born in England, anyone who disagrees with that is simply wrong.

You can also add prog rock, pyschedelic rock, britpop and post punk to that list, all of which have had some kind of impact on american music...And while punk argubably began in the states with The Ramones, it exploded in the UK with The Clash, The Sex Pistols, The Buzzc0cks, The Damned...Thats where it became a worldwide phenomenon.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 12:41 PM   #472 (permalink)
They call me Tundra Boy
 
DontRunMeOver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In your linen cupboard.
Posts: 1,166
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo
Heavy Metal was born in England, anyone who disagrees with that is simply wrong.
Yes, in Birmingham in fact, Lep Zepellin and Black Sabbath... (well, so I'm told, I'm not actually from here).
Quote:
You can also add prog rock, pyschedelic rock, britpop and post punk to that list, all of which have had some kind of impact on american music...And while punk argubably began in the states with The Ramones, it exploded in the UK with The Clash, The Sex Pistols, The Buzzc0cks, The Damned...Thats where it became a worldwide phenomenon.
Plus, most of the 'punk' bands which we hear over here from America are actually the 'pop-punk' bands that you guys so despise (yes, most Brits would probably say Greenday, Sum41 and Blink182 represented american punk). Whatever the 'real' american punk music is, it never really gets over here.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katyppfan View Post
When Pete plays it is 100% live , your music if that's what you call it doesn't sound so good either? so you can't really critercize can you ?
DontRunMeOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 12:42 PM   #473 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,449
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontRunMeOver
Yes, in Birmingham in fact, Lep Zepellin and Black Sabbath... (well, so I'm told, I'm not actually from here).
Judas Preist
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 12:47 PM   #474 (permalink)
Dancing Machine
 
Expletive Deleted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontRunMeOver
house, techno
Both are as much American genres as they are British.

Punk didn't begin with the Ramones, but it did start in the US. It doesn't matter where it became a "worldwide phenomenon." That's like saying Nirvana started Grunge because they're the ones that made it big first.

And Post-Punk isn't even close to being an exclusively British genre.
Expletive Deleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 12:55 PM   #475 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,449
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted

Punk didn't begin with the Ramones, but it did start in the US. It doesn't matter where it became a "worldwide phenomenon." That's like saying Nirvana started Grunge because they're the ones that made it big first.
Well I could just as easily say The Beatles started grunge because of Helter Skelter.

There was no punk movement in the U.S. , it`s a myth. Punk started in the UK with the Clash , Pistols etc etc , The bands in the U.S. latched onto the punk thing AFTER the success of it in the UK.The only U.S. 'punk' band to release anything before the UK movement were the Ramones and they had very little influence on British punk.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 01:00 PM   #476 (permalink)
Atchin' Akai
 
right-track's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Unamerica
Posts: 8,696
Default

And if anyone mentions the Velvet Underground as the founders of punk, I'm gonna schiz...
right-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 01:01 PM   #477 (permalink)
Dancing Machine
 
Expletive Deleted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger
There was no punk movement in the U.S. , it`s a myth. Punk started in the UK with the Clash , Pistols etc etc , The bands in the U.S. latched onto the punk thing AFTER the success of it in the UK.The only U.S. 'punk' band to release anything before the UK movement were the Ramones and they had very little influence on British punk.
So you're telling me that The Stooges, New York Dolls, Modern Lovers, The Velvet Underground, MC5, and Rocket from the Tombs aren't Punk, or didn't have any influence on it all? Riiight.
Expletive Deleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 01:03 PM   #478 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,449
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted
So you're telling me that The Stooges, New York Dolls, Modern Lovers, The Velvet Underground, MC5, and Rocket from the Tombs aren't Punk, or didn't have any influence on it all? Riiight.
They had influence , but thats not the same thing

nobody ever listened to the Velvet Underground and said 'hey what a great punk rock band they are'

Bands like Roxy Music , Hawkwind , Can & Bowie had influence on it too , shall we start calling those bands punk as well?
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 01:05 PM   #479 (permalink)
Dancing Machine
 
Expletive Deleted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger
They had influence , but thats not the same thing

nobody ever listened to the Velvet Underground and said 'hey what a great punk rock band they are'
Because when the Velvet Underground formed there was no name for the music they played.

Nobody considered Rites of Spring Emo in the 80s, but now they're recognized as its founders. What do you say to that?
Expletive Deleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 01:11 PM   #480 (permalink)
Atchin' Akai
 
right-track's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Unamerica
Posts: 8,696
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted
Because when the Velvet Underground formed there was no name for the music they played.

Nobody considered Rites of Spring Emo in the 80s, but now they're recognized as its founders. What do you say to that?
Forget the Velvet Underground, they were considered Avant Garde at the time. As for the New York Dolls, managed in 1975 by Malcolm McClaren who tried to revive a failing band repackaged them as born again communists, for the shock value, it failed.

Realising that shock value was gold, managed the Sex Pistols...safety pins, spikey hair, anarchy, anti establishment...the rest is history.
right-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.