Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2007, 03:22 PM   #2891 (permalink)
sammichestime
 
half_baked87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamagarmr View Post
^ it shows a lack of thinking "outside the box"
it shows that they want to conform to a set of ideas not their own, voiding some of their individuality.
in a way i tend to agree with this, but in a way disagree. i was raised strict, STRICT prodestant, and i dunno from the get go i never really did buy the whole idea of living by god's laws under threat of eternal damnation. and there are some, probably many, including my parents and most of my family, who refuse to look to anything outside of their faith for answers or inspiration. those are the kinds of christians (or any religion for that matter) that i can't abide. the problem is most of them have money and influence and can really make life hard for the rest of us. but for someone whose seen they're share of the world and not just whats been filtered through the pulpet for them, and still choose to beleive than thats their decision, and at least it was an informed one. i've seen both sides of christianity, and just can't make myself beleive it no matter how hard i try. i'd love for some all-powerful skyman to have everything planned out and not worry about anything. but i think when you make you're own path to wherever you really live life to the fullest.
half_baked87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:59 PM   #2892 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
[MERIT]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 4,811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill
Am I the only one that finds this statement funny coming from the person who attacks anyone not christian/republican and calls them close-minded conformists who only dislike bush because its popular?
I only "attacked" people in defense of them attacking me first. And disagreeing with someone or their ideology, while at the same time representing your own beliefs in an equitable way, is not "attacking," it is a discussion. Grow up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill
You see, you're just following the popular train if you dislike bush but if you support him, THEN you're individual!
I never said that at all. It is obvious that the latest trend in today's hollywood is to publicly be anti-bush, and individuals do not follow trends, they set them. It is true that there is also a trend of blindly following Bush's lead, but that too is a bad thing. No person or thing (with the exception of the lord) is ALL good. One must weigh the pros and cons of everything before making any decisions.
[MERIT] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:33 PM   #2893 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Joplin, MO
Posts: 468
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oojay View Post
I've seen whats "outside the box".......and I'll stick with the box.


Just because you associate with people with similar beliefs makes you a conformist? No. It means that youve weighed all the options and found the religion that you believe to be true. How is that conforming?
I find it hard to believe you could have already weighed all the options. I'm 26, and I feel like life is a lifelong spiritual journey. 10 years from now, I could be a Christian, a Muslim, a Wiccan, anything. Hey, if you really have weighed all the options, then that's cool, but somehow I just don't believe it. As much as I've read the Bible and have seen several parts that contradict each other, and have read stories in it that make it sound like it was written by Timothy Leary, I'm OK w/ it, as long as people don't use it as a tool for hate and discrimination, and sadly that's what I see a lot of 'Christians' doing these days.
TheUsedToolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:36 PM   #2894 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
[MERIT]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 4,811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUsedToolguy View Post
I find it hard to believe you could have already weighed all the options. I'm 26, and I feel like life is a lifelong spiritual journey. 10 years from now, I could be a Christian, a Muslim, a Wiccan, anything. Hey, if you really have weighed all the options, then that's cool, but somehow I just don't believe it. As much as I've read the Bible and have seen several parts that contradict each other, and have read stories in it that make it sound like it was written by Timothy Leary, I'm OK w/ it, as long as people don't use it as a tool for hate and discrimination, and sadly that's what I see a lot of 'Christians' doing these days.
My religious beliefs are extremely important to me. While I was raised in a pentacostal church, I have also done much research on other religions and ideologies. I have friends that are Muslim, Athiest, Wiccan, etc. While I disagree with their beliefs, they have the right to believe in whatever they choose. And as far as people "using the Bible for hate," I assume that you're referring to the "hate" of homosexuality. While many base their disagreeance, and in some cases hate, of homosexuals on the bible, most do not.
[MERIT] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:03 PM   #2895 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Joplin, MO
Posts: 468
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oojay View Post
My religious beliefs are extremely important to me. While I was raised in a pentacostal church, I have also done much research on other religions and ideologies. I have friends that are Muslim, Athiest, Wiccan, etc. While I disagree with their beliefs, they have the right to believe in whatever they choose. And as far as people "using the Bible for hate," I assume that you're referring to the "hate" of homosexuality. While many base their disagreeance, and in some cases hate, of homosexuals on the bible, most do not.
yeah, their disagreeance w/ that; and disagreeance w/ people following any other religion
TheUsedToolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:12 PM   #2896 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: DC
Posts: 16
Default

God is a construct to explain that which man cannot comprehend.

Existence is but a grain of sand on all the beaches of the world, infinitly infintesimal.

Having faith is irrational and a waste of time. Focus on the here and now, not the hereafter.
chronoclast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:40 PM   #2897 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Joplin, MO
Posts: 468
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronoclast View Post
God is a construct to explain that which man cannot comprehend.

Existence is but a grain of sand on all the beaches of the world, infinitly infintesimal.

Having faith is irrational and a waste of time. Focus on the here and now, not the hereafter.
I like that philosophy, and agree that we would probably be just as well suited to be in wonderment of the fact that we are so incredibly blessed just to be on a planet where conditions are suited for human life. It's really amazing. However, I have noticed the laws of Karma constantly taking effect in my life and the lives of others, and it can be hard to see Karma, because it usually takes a long time to get it payed back, IMO
TheUsedToolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:01 PM   #2898 (permalink)
Raptor
 
DearJenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Metro Detroit, MI
Posts: 1,325
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by half_baked87 View Post
prodestant
Protestant
__________________
So here's to living life miserable.
And here's to all the lonely stories that I've told.
Maybe drinking wine will validate my sorrow.
Every man needs a muse and mine could be the bottle.
DearJenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:20 PM   #2899 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oojay View Post
I only "attacked" people in defense of them attacking me first. And disagreeing with someone or their ideology, while at the same time representing your own beliefs in an equitable way, is not "attacking," it is a discussion. Grow up.
Yes, i'm the one who needs to grow up and you're also correct on it being "attacking" not attacking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oojay View Post
I hope you all die in your sleep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oojay
I never said that at all. It is obvious that the latest trend in today's hollywood is to publicly be anti-bush, and individuals do not follow trends, they set them. It is true that there is also a trend of blindly following Bush's lead, but that too is a bad thing. No person or thing (with the exception of the lord) is ALL good. One must weigh the pros and cons of everything before making any decisions.
So how do you know the Dixie Chicks or any personal who dislikes bush hasn't done that?

Woh woh, every person is an individual so what you're saying is no one follows trends? Then you go on saying people blindly follow bushes lead...I'm confused.

Also your lord killed a whole city because he thought they were gay, I believe that goes against the "thou shall not murder" thing and breaking those 10 commandments is bad, not good. So really "The Lord" is bad. You fail.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:57 PM   #2900 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
[MERIT]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 4,811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
So how do you know the Dixie Chicks or any personal who dislikes bush hasn't done that?
I don't. But seeing as how they only started thier criticisms of the Bush administration when it became popular for Hollywood to do so makes me have my doubts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill
Also your lord killed a whole city because he thought they were gay, I believe that goes against the "thou shall not murder" thing and breaking those 10 commandments is bad, not good. So really "The Lord" is bad. You fail.
Actually, educated people know that God destroyed the cities of Sodom and Gamorrha (sp?) because of the violent nature of it's people, not because of their sexual preferences. So you are wrong once again.
[MERIT] is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.